Jackson Active Pickups

• Members

Hi there,

I own a Japanese Soloist Pro (at least I presume it is as it does not have the USA mark on the headstock) and have never fully understood the active pickup arrangement.

The guitar has a a humbucker in the bridge position and two single coils. The pickups have three control pots the nearest volume, the middle the active boost (I think) and the last and furthest away tone.

The problem I have is that unless the middle pot is fully clockwise the sound becomes very muddy, a bit Hendrixy but for most things it is pretty un-usable.

The pot that I presume is the tone fully clockwise produces a full but still clear sound and fully anti-clockwise gets thinner sounding and I used to think this was the boost circuit however the 9V battery inside never ever ran out (I have had the guitar 8 years and it is still full!!!!)

So from this my question is is the middle pot the boost?, if it is, is it how it is to supposed to sound?, and finnaly would I be better upgrading the bridge pickup to a EMG active or similar?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by jjacksonboogie

If thats the case why doesn't the active circuit use the battery?

That would make it a PASSIVE circuit then, wouldn't it?

What pickups are they? Are you sure they're active?

If you don't know what a bass/treble setup would be, maybe you should take it to a tech before you decid waht these controls might be...

• Members

The pickups are jacksons own with flush black plastic covers (you can't see the pole peices) these are connected in the back of the guitar to a small printed circuit board and a 9V battery. Do you know any good guitar techs that you could put me in touch with I am in the North of England?

• Members

On my Charvel model 4 (1988) I have a humbucker (J50BC) and 2 SCs (J200) as well. They were designed to work WITH the je1000 midboost system. And I advise replacing the battery anyway. It may make a difference.

Also, the pickups are passive. The electronics are active, as it's been said.

I grew addicted to that midbooster too. When I turn it low, I wouldn't say it's muddy, but it's a very hollow and bassier sound. I see what you mean. I always keep it at least up to 2 or 4 on in a scale of 10.

I say it IS a midbooster that you have in there :)

• Members

Yup the jackson pickups are passive, with some active circuit (midboost I think)

I had these in my Jackson SL1, and the boost circuit board was blown. Anyway, I hated those pickups a lot and changed them for some Emg SA/SA/81 :cool:

• Members

Sounds like the JE-1200 system that's in my Charvel 475. The farthest knob is for mid boost, the middle tone (treble) as ususal and of course the closest is volume. My guitar has the J50BC/J120/J120. I like the pups quite a bit, the bridge HB has some quirks, but I like it. It definitely lacks all out rhythm crunch, but man the searing lead sound more than makes up for it! It has the most scarifying shred lead tone I have ever heard, very intense! I don't use it for heavier (crunch) songs since the J50 doesn't really score high in that area. I do like it as is, rather than go out and buy a EVO, Duncan etc and be like everyone else, it's kind of cool to have a the stock pups, well at least in this case it is.

I find that the best overall mid boost is with the knob at only only about 1/4 to 1/3 turn for most playing, although I will ocassionally crank it to about 3/4 for a lead boost for the neck single.

I have had the Charvel for 12 years, it plays like a dream and sounds great, and I love the '80s metal look! It is worth far more to me than its actual resell value, so I would never sell it.

• Members

Ditto. Charvel/Jackson Model 4 over here. One volume, One active mid boost, one passive tone. I ditched the tone control, moved the knobs down a hole. Now I have clearance to shred away! (I put a red LED in the former volume hole, it's "on" when the guitars plugged in) I can't count the batteries this has saved me, "Hey dude, your guitar is, uhm, still on". ?!

I roll up the mid for dirty, roll back for clean.

• Members

That's a pretty cool mod dude. Did you change the pickups, and how different does it sound with the tone control out of the guitar? I have a 4 too. Great guitar isn't it... I love mine.

Archived