How much would it cost to get a nut replaced?

• Members

The nut on my strat just doesn't work. I think the previous owner installed it or something, because it doesn't seem like it's stock. Plus, it's rather tall, eliminating any possibility of low action without getting fret buzz while fretting higher notes (that is after lowering it at the bridge). Should I file down the nut myself, or have it replaced? I was thinking a graphite one if I did get it replaced.

• Members

Originally posted by SlayerofShadows

The nut on my strat just doesn't work. I think the previous owner installed it or something, because it doesn't seem like it's stock. Plus, it's rather tall, eliminating any possibility of low action without getting fret buzz while fretting higher notes (that is after lowering it at the bridge). Should I file down the nut myself, or have it replaced? I was thinking a graphite one if I did get it replaced.

Bone is great too. I had a local shop put a graphite nut on a gibby Chet Atkins recently. It was 25 bucks. Fixed the tuning problem I was having also. Why do these cheap ass manufacturers put plastic frickin nuts on a 3,000 dollar guitar?

• Members

Another option might be the GraphTech TUSQ Bone/Ivory nut..

My tech has been using these on my 'Strats and 'Teles and they work very well..

Part number 5000 should work on your 'Strat, and they are preshaped and slotted. Only cost around $7.00

tusq.jpg

• Members

It's maybe a 1/2-hour of work by a reputible luthier. The old one pops off and they can have a new one filed and glued in in no time.

It wouldn't cost me more than $35 with my tech. For a little more $$$, you can have a full pro setup.

-Y.

• Members

Whatever you do, DON'T go with graphite! I tried a graphite nut and had it tooken off within 3 days. It simply killed the sustain like you wouldn't believe. The only real thing graphite nuts are good for is lubricating themselves and keeping the guitar in tune better. Just use a nice bone nut and add some graphite powder in the slots. You get the lube of a graphite nut and the sustain of a bone nut :)

Of course It's all a matter of which nut you prefer. I however hated how graphite killed my sustain.

• Members

Originally posted by anti-flag193

so who thinks graphite is the best to use? I need a new nut for my les paul. How expensive are graphite ones?

Given a choice I'd use the TUSQ, especially on a LP where you won't be using a trem.

But that's just me... :cool:

• Members

Tusq is great to work with if you DIY.

Polished bone is what I use on all of mine, but that is as much a nod to old practices as anything else. And unbeached bone has a nice vintage look to it.

There is also Corian, you know the countertop stuff.

I use Graphtech saddles, but have never tried the nut. I do hear mixed reviews on them. I have never heard a complaint about bone or Tusq.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by Wyatt

I use Graphtech saddles, but have never tried the nut. I do hear mixed reviews on them. I have never heard a complaint about bone or Tusq.

-Y.

I have used them several times w/o complaint one. Tusq is great too. :)

• Members

It's really easy to install a preslotted Graphtech trem/tusq nut yourself.

Removing the old one is the hardest part, and that's not a big deal either.

I've used both, btw. The tremnut (black) definately slicker, but the tusq looks more vintage. Either should be a big improvement over a plastic nut.

• Members

Originally posted by Tonally Anal

How hard is it to replace a preslotted nut yourself? Do you need to use a special type of glue, or is normal wood glue fine?

:confused:

usually, you don't need much glue, some woodworking glue can be used.

As the strings tension will keep the nut in place, you don't need to put crazy glue or epoxy in there. It'll be a hard time if you ever remove it or change it later.

I actually need to change the cheap plastic nut in my Dean European Custom V. i'll probably use some bone as it's really hard and lasts a while. The equipment to do it can be a bit pricy, maybe a lil over doing it yourself (filing gauges, the files themselves, rules..etc.), but if you have some other guits, it can save you a lil money over time to do it yourself. The preslotted nuts are pretty much ready for use, but you may need to work some slots a little, as few adjustments can be needed.

I have a graphic nut on my Gibson explorer, and this rocks really. It's the guitar that stays the best tuned even after huge bending. I'll probably use some bone on my Gibson as I said, but I'd consider graphite also. The guitar finish and hardware makes the bone nut sexier looking though :)

Archived