Guerrilla Promotion - Show Promotion Tip

Dcodr

• Members

After promoting or producing around 1,000 concerts, managing bands, booking tours and scouting talent, you pick up a few tricks of the trade. That's how I started doing artist development work. Thought I would share a few of my artist development techniques here.

So if you are looking for some artist development techniques, read on.

Getting People to Hand out Your Flyers For You

Id bet less that 5% of all the venues we list on our website have any scratch paper. So if you are at a bar and ask for something to write on, a napkin or coaster is likely what you will get.

Use this inexpensive trick to get the bar staff to hand out flyers for your next show.

Design a simple quarter page (4.25 inches wide by 5.5 inches tall) black and white single sided flyer for your next show at a venue. Make sure the show on the flyer is at least one month after your next show at that venue. Better still if the flyer is for the next 2-3 shows you have AT THAT SAME VENUE. Make sure you do NOT have any shows listed for any other venues on the flyer.

Print up a page with the flyer ad displayed in quarters (4 times). Send the page to Kinkos and ask them to print up 25-50 pages, then cut the flyers down into quarters. This will get you 100 - 200 individual flyers.

[ATTACH]340519[/ATTACH]

Here is the twist. Have Kinkos gum the flyers into a single tablet, but position the artwork facing down. So the finished product looks like a stack of blank white paper. But instead of being blank, its just blank on the front. The back side of each page shows your the flyer for your next show there.

[ATTACH]340520[/ATTACH]

At your next gig at this venue, ask a bartender if they have any scratch paper. When they offer you a napkin, you pull out the tablet you printed up and tell the bartender your made some scratch paper just for them. Explain the promotion to the bartender so they dont think you are trying to pull a fast one. The bar will throw your tablet away if a venue they compete with is listed on your flyer, so make sure you dont list any other venues on the flyer.

If you work it right, you will have the bartenders handing out flyers for your next show (or shows there) for you for the next few months.

Check back to the Music Biz forum for additional Guerrilla Promotion tips.

If you have a music industry question PM me or post it below here.

Archived