Thoughts on the Jackson SLSMG Soloist?

bainsstatic

• Members

I'll be getting a new guitar this summer because my current Agile Ghost is too heavy and is causing shoulder/back problems.

I was looking at some Agiles but none really suited my tastes. Checked out some ESP's (well, the LTD's) and saw a couple that I liked, but they were nowhere to be found on eBay (where I will most likely make the purchase).

I liked the look of the Jackson SLSMG and I know Jackson's don't weigh as much as what I have at the moment.

That being said, I would like your feedback on what you think of this particular guitar.

Here are the specs according to Jackson's website:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/gear.php?op=3&partno=SLSMG_Soloist

Keep in mind, the nearest Guitar Center is quite far from me so looking at gas prices, I would only want to make the trip to check it out if really necessary.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I also LOATHE Floyd Rose setups and wouldn't use a guitar with 'em (I change tunings often).

edit

Doh! I just realized it has no whammy bar... :(

Can somebody recommend a good ESP/LTD within the $400-$600 range please? Thanks.

• Members

I like the Jackson SLSMG better then the Gibson Std Sg. I like the PRS SE Billy Martin better then the Jackson. The PRS costs less then either. Balances as well as the jackson And like it is mahogany body & neck. While I do like the EMG Hz pups, they havent the crunch in that guitar that they would in one with mahogany body & maple neck. The PRS mentioned has better crunch with its stock pups then does the jackson with its. None the less, the Jackson would be good choice. Its my 2nd choice after PRS SE BM as first choice. Has owned all 3 guitars mentioned. Owns & uses the PRS now.

• Members

the SLSMG is a very good guitar, but you definitely arent going to get one new for 600 dollars.

Also, for the money the LTD MH-1000 (the black one) DESTROYS the SLSMG. Mostly because it comes with "real EMGs" as opposed to the HZs found on the Jackson, also its cheaper.

The only features on the SLSMG I like that I wish could be found on the MH1000 are a flat black finish, and an ebony finger board. Save those 2 minor details the Mh1000 seriously wins hands down.

• Members

I had an SLSMG Flametop and it was awesome. Nice ebony board with a killer neck. The EMG HZ's sounded pretty good too but it really came to life when I put a set of Duncans in it. I used it on a few tracks on my band's new CD. That guitar was great.

• Members

The SLSMG doesn't seem like very good value to me, as mentioned the MH1000 has a far superior specification for less money.

Ltd v Jackson:

Real EMGs v HZs

Sperzel v "Die Cast tuners"

TonePros bridge v Stock JT390

Earvana nut v Stock nut

Jackson has plain colours, satin black usually. The EMG equiped Ltds have binding, the SD equiped ones have quilt maple caps and binding. Though, tbh, I prefer the look of the Jackson slightly, the ebony fingerboard and the shape give it a very clean, slick look.

• Members

Oh alright, well that's good news. I was just checking out the ESP/LTD site. Seems like there aren't many of these guitars on eBay (where I'll be buying from). Are there any other good LTD's that can be used for playing metal (that don't have Floyd Rose!)?

• Members

Originally posted by Martel

The SLSMG doesn't seem like very good value to me, as mentioned the MH1000 has a far superior specification for less money.

Ltd v Jackson:

Real EMGs v HZs

Sperzel v "Die Cast tuners"

TonePros bridge v Stock JT390

Earvana nut v Stock nut

Jackson has plain colours, satin black usually. The EMG equiped Ltds have binding, the SD equiped ones have quilt maple caps and binding. Though, tbh, I prefer the look of the Jackson slightly, the ebony fingerboard and the shape give it a very clean, slick look.

well I clearly prefer the LTD, the Jackson DOES have binding, and the LTDs that feature maple tops arent actually caps but thin veneers.

And I dont find the SLSMG neck heavy AT ALL.

• Members

In the $400-$600 price range there are a few different LTD`s with fixed bridges and EMG actives or "real" Seymour Duncans. In fact you can buy any of the fixed bridge 400 series LTD`s new in that price range.

Viper 400- Offset SG body style in mahogany with set mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, EMG 81 humbuckers, TOM bridge/tailpiece.

EC-400- Les Paul type single cut, flat top body type. Slightly thinner and lighter than the Gibby LP. Also mahogany body/set neck with rosewood fretboard. Active EMG`s, TOM bridge/tailpiece.

EC-400AT- Arch top LP style body, mahogany body/set neck with rosewood fretboard, Seymour Duncan JB/`59 pups, TOM bridge/tailpiece. Available in gold top.

MH 400NT- Carved top, mahogany soloist type body, set-through, mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard, EMG active pups, TOM bridge/tailpiece.

All the 400 series guitars are truly pro level guitars with very, very high quality and attention to detail. Playability is very good also. As a LTD owner, I highly recommend these guitars. They are very much worth the asking price.

Archived