does anyone have the Tascam CD-GT1 mkII?

lunetta77

• Members

Hello all

I considering the purchase of a Tascam CDGT1mkII, since I need to practice with headphones, and although the computer does that I spend 12 hours a day at work in the front of the computer. I guess this summer I can keep staring some green trees at the porch instead of the cathode ray light while I try to figure out all those abbey road songs.

Does anyone have any? Any thoughts?

How's the effects?

I can't find a decent review anywhere.

thanks!

• Members

If you already have an iPod, you can spend $45 for Amazing Slow Downer and save specific sections of songs you're working on as MP3 files. And there are other programs out there that do the same thing and may cost a little less.

With the right tagging, this works like a charm. I have a "Practice" genre, and I label the albums as "GTR" and the songs as "Song - Fig 1 half" etc. depending on the sections and how much I've slowed it down. Obviously I don't change the artist tag. :)

Of course, I don't have some of the cool things on the Tascam like the guitar cancelling, the footswitching etc. but it's good enough for learning the notes. The best thing is that I don't have to mess around with CDs other than when I'm first encoding. Typically I'll save 3 versions at the same time 1/2, 3/4, and full speed. That way I never have to mess with CDs after the initial setup.

I wish Apple or some other MP3 player manufacturer would make a "musician's version" of their players that could do the basic functions onboard. If we could just set loop points, and slow down to half speed without having to process separately, that would be awesome....

Hmmm, maybe this already exists. Anyone know if it does?

• Members

I've got the previous version, GT1. If you use it for what it was made for (learning/transcribing), you'll probably be happy. I've read where some guys try to use the effects built into it. That's nuts, as the effects are awful IMO.

If you want a GT1, I sell you mine for $75, shipped in the lower 48.

• Members

I've got a MKII Bass Trainer, pretty much the same thing.

I love the up/down key feature. It makes it easy to match the song's key to what your guitar is tuned to, on the fly. Saves a lot of time.

The other features and effects are there if you want to use them, but I don't get too fancy with it, because to me it's just a learning tool.

I prefer to listen to things loud, so I use the Trainer's line out to connect to a stereo, and plug the phones into that. Probably not necessary for everyone.

• Members

To me the CD-GT1 is the best learning tool out there if you have to learn note-for-note solos and stuff. I use it nearly every day.

I bought the carrying case with built-in speakers so I don't have to bother everybody in my house by playing it thru my stereo.

Jump on that $75 offer.

• Members

Originally posted by lunetta77

actually, I use more the looping than the slow downing... and I can't loop on the iPod... I'll tink about it...

I loop on my iPod by setting the song on repeat. Easy seamless looping.

I guess the downside could be that you can't change the length of the loop on the fly, but I always work on very discrete song sections anyway, so that's not a problem for me. If you like more flexibility in your looping then I guess the iPod/software option is not good.

You could always try it out without spending a dime... if you only need looping, I'm sure there are freeware apps out there that you can use to split mp3 files into different sections. And if you're not into slowing down stuff, I definitely wouldn't spend the money on ASD.

Re your question... the MKII has a guitar canceller that the earlier model doesn't have, and supposedly the effects and amp modelling is greatly improved. Guess without an objective head-to-head comparison, we'll just take their word that it is indeed improved? :)

• Members

Originally posted by Detox

I've got a MKII Bass Trainer, pretty much the same thing.

Detox,

Does the amp modelling and effects section sound decent enough so you wouldn't need to use an amp? And if you use the slow down function, does it sound choppy like RodneyDangerKitty's GT1 or has that improved?

This thread has got me thinking that maybe my iPod/ASD/Microcube solution for practicing is not the most efficient. I'd check out the GTII if I could use just that and my headphones, but not if the slowed down songs sound like crap.

Archived