Setting minimum level on my guitar volume knobs?

SmelltheGlove

• Members

I'm looking for something where you can set the volume knobs to a specific minimum level - controls the travel of the knob to wherever you set it. I want to be able to quickly turn the knob all the way back and have it hit right at the sweet spot I select where the guitar cleans up nicely. In the middle of a song I often have problems finding that spot, turning it too far so the volume goes out completely momentarily or too little so the sound is still too dirty.

This HAS to exist. I did a quick search of StewMac and didn't find one, but maybe I missed it. Any help tracking one down would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Members

a normal pot goes from min (zero resistance) to the max that the pot is rated at, which usually stops output. i presume it is possible to do this with different value pots. however, i am unsure that the tone will stay the same through different value pots.

other solutions:

make a physical stop that you cannot turn the volume past a certain point. probably a ring/screw setup or something. this will require you mount something on the front of the guitar or the control plate.

add a button/switch to bypass/increase resistance. i cannot think of a way to do this, but it will surelythis will require that you modify the guitar.

• Members

Your volume pot has three leads on it. Two leads have wires attached to them. I forget if this should be wired in series or parrell, so if anyone would like to correct me, feel free.

Do this:

Buy a multimeter ($8 at radioshack)

Set the pot at what you would like the minimum volume to be

Use the multimeter to find how much resistance (ohms) there is between the two leads

Go back to radioshack, buy a resistor with that many ohms of resistance

Solder resistor between the two leads. Don't disconnect anything.

If you don't know what this means, find the oldest guy that works at radioshack and tell him what you're doing. He'll show you what to buy.

• Members

I play a PRS CE24 and a Strat w/JB. I just added a LP.

All three have different tapers. They start cleaning up at different spots on the dial.

But I don't want to change anything because I don't want to alter their tone.

It would be cool to have a simple stop device that was adjustable.

• Members

it can be done as described above cheaply. if you wish to have it adjustable, simply install a small variable resistor instead of a regular resistor. open up the cavity, and change the minimum volume level. This mod will not alter the tone.

• Members

I agree with the use of a resistor above... you'll have to test and find that "sweet spot".

I always replace my tone knobs with something that's more useful to me.... A great option is an ON/OFF/ON switch and you wire one side to ground with a resistor (try 100 - 225k) the other side to ground with tone capacitor and a resistor in series. This way, you get the following "preset" conditions:

1 - Volume roll back for clean

2 - No change in signal

3 - Preset tone knob type clip

works great... it's easy to work on the fly.

• Members

Given the fact that the sweet spot you are looking for is bound to change depending on amp settings, effects, room, etc, I would suggest that instead of soldering in a resistor as stated above, add a small pot (you can get trim pots that are just a 1/8" screwdriver slot) so that you can fine tune it when you need to.

But a volume pedal would be so much easier;)

Archived