Slanted humbuckers for Gibson Nighthawk

Alek

• Members

Hello guys i am a newcomer here. I own a Gibson Nighthawk and i am really interested in changing its bridge pickup. There is a big (hope not unslolved) problem though. As this guitar is no longer in production and as its bridge pickup is "slanted", there is no "non custom-shop" or even "custom-shop" pickup available in market almost anywhere.:(

If anyone can help i would really appreciate it........

Looking forward for your ansewrs.......Thanx in advance.......

Picture of the guitar

• Members

Thanx for your interest......

I have already done some modifications to this guitar (change potentiometers with Gibson 500, push/pull tone option not available). I am also looking forward for changing the neck mini-hum (this is something easy). I would prefer if my guitar's pickups were less modern and more vintage, smooth and crunchy........I don't like its high output......

• Members

Originally posted by Forbidden

http://www.riograndepickups.com/3.html

twangbuckpic.gif

twangmuygrande.gif

Thanx for your suggestion........I have been searching for something like this for more than one year........i wish i new about HC earlier..........Anyway...........do you know anything about how this pickups sound, or do you know anyone who uses them. Do they sound vintage enough? i would contact with them (riograndepickups) but if you know something more i would realy appreciate if you let me know........

One more time.............1000000000000 Thanx :D :D :D :D :D

• Members

Originally posted by straightblues

Another option would be to get your existing pickup rewound to your specs. Many of the botique pickup makers will do that for you.

I had thought of this "straightblues" but at this period i am using this guitars in live gigs so this is very difficult to be done. Anyway thanks for your interest.

Greetings from Greece....

Do you prefer British or US blues?:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by Alek

I had thought of this "straightblues" but at this period i am using this guitars in live gigs so this is very difficult to be done. Anyway thanks for your interest.

Greetings from Greece....

Do you prefer British or US blues?
:confused:

I have a Nighthawk Custom and wouldn't change the pickups in it fot anything. I think they are perfect. Have you messed with the height? (I assume you have)

• Members

I use Rio Grandes in a couple guitars: humbuckers in a strat and single coils in a Tele. I have the "Muy Grandes" in both guitars, and they are definitely not vintage. They are very beefy and have super high output. From what I understand, the Vintage Tallboys are a more traditional tele sound.

• Members

...........do you know anything about how this pickups sound, or do you know anyone who uses them. Do they sound vintage enough?

Check the pickup reviews on the Harmony Central site and you should find several review on the Rio Grande Pickups

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I have a Nighthawk Custom and wouldn't change the pickups in it fot anything. I think they are perfect. Have you messed with the height? (I assume you have)

"tlbonehead" thanks for looking here.................I would prefer a less modern pickup and that is the reason why i wish to change it. I have tried it in several heights. Have you done any modifications that changed the sound or felling of the original Hawk?

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Sunshine

I believe a forumite, i believe his moniker is TangisGR or something like that has done the same mod you're talking about, putting a twangbucker in his nighthawk.

Try PMing him.

Johnny realy thank you for your reply. Isn't this "twangbucker" a "Rio Grande's" pickup?.Anyway, I 'll try to contact with TangisGR.

Greetings from Greece................

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Sunshine

Yes, the twangbucker is a rio grande product. The idea came from making a splittable humbucker that could be put in a telecaster to give both the classic tele sound and a full humbucker sound.

They just appear to also work for the Nighthawks.

I wish that was true.......Guys from Rio Grande told me that these pickups aren't suitable for the Nighthawk. Anyway i sent a mail to TanisGR and i am looking for his answer. In case you contact with him in any way i would appreciate if you mention my problem to him:cool:

• Members

"tlbonehead" thanks for looking here.................I would prefer a less modern pickup and that is the reason why i wish to change it. I have tried it in several heights. Have you done any modifications that changed the sound or felling of the original Hawk?

I have mine lower than stock specs and they sound very PAF-ish.

• Members

I have mine lower than stock specs and they sound very PAF-ish.

That is also what i have done......they sound PAF-ish (?) but they aren't. Unfortunately there is nothing i can do to solve this problem. I suggest you changing the potentiometers of your guitar with Gibson's 500 kohm as well as keeping only the 5-way selector (no push/pull anymore- i have the 3 pickups std.model), which made the guiter sound brighter and less blurry.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Members

That is also what i have done......they sound PAF-ish (?) but they aren't. Unfortunately there is nothing i can do to solve this problem. I suggest you changing the potentiometers of your guitar with Gibson's 500 kohm as well as keeping only the 5-way selector (no push/pull anymore- i have the 3 pickups std.model), which made the guiter sound brighter and less blurry.

:cool:

Oh,mine is the dual pickup with 5-way switch. I certainly don't want to change a thing on the guitar. It is perfect.

• Members

Oh,mine is the dual pickup with 5-way switch. I certainly don't want to change a thing on the guitar. It is perfect.

I am not implying that i am not satisfied by the guitar. I just want to make it sound less:mad: :mad: :mad: ....that's all...........

• 15 years later...

Archived