re-using song titles legality?

wwwjd

• Members

question for the legal kids....

are there ANY issues reusing titles of songs? I'd read you can as long as the song isn't ripping off the original - truthishly, it's not even meant to.

Say I wrote and titled a song "Yesterday" like the Beatles song. No problem?

What if I wanted to call a song "Tik-Tok"? Not that I would EVER actually even want to do that, but just as an example. :D Could they sue?

From what I understand, they can't copyright a title so much as the songs and chords....

I have NO INTEREST in ripping off an obvious title like tik-tok, just wonder about song title legalities.

• Members

question for the legal kids....

are there ANY issues reusing titles of songs? I'd read you can as long as the song isn't ripping off the original - truthishly, it's not even meant to.

Say I wrote and titled a song "Yesterday" like the Beatles song. No problem?

What if I wanted to call a song "Tik-Tok"? Not that I would EVER actually even want to do that, but just as an example.
:D
Could they sue?

From what I understand, they can't copyright a title so much as the songs and chords....

I have NO INTEREST in ripping off an obvious title like tik-tok, just wonder about song title legalities.

Yes.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/587507.html

• Members

Not that I'm a legal eagle by an stretch of the imagination, but I'm pretty sure that song titles can be used more than once without any copyright infringement. But beware of stage names etc. On the UK XFactor that is on at the moment, one of the girl groups had to change their name halfway through the series. They were called Rythmix but had to change it to Little Mix as there is a UK charity called Rythmix. Same with the Spice Girls, they were originally just called Spice but had to change it as there was a US rapper apparently who also went by the same name. Brain of useless info... I think so!

Archived