Fixing a hairline crack in the neck?

LaXu

• Members

I posted about this in another thread but since that has sunk somewhere on page 14124 already, I decided to make my own thread for this.

My 1989 Ibanez RG550 has had a hairline crack running down the neck for like 4-5 years, during which the crack hasn't gotten any wider or longer at least as far as I can remember. Since it affects resale value, I'd like to fix it if it's possible without refinishing the neck or breaking it in half and putting it back together.

This is what it looks like, doesn't look quite as bad really, I just added some sharpening in Photoshop to make it more visible.

neckcrack.jpg

Any suggestions?

• Members

Vertical cracks like that are sometimes tricky. You should clamp it first without glue to make sure it will close. If it does, you can then add glue and you can follow this link for repair help http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm . If it wont clamp shut, you can fill the crack with maple sawdust topped/mixed with superglue. Layer it until it is flush and sand it with 600 grit wet paper followed by 1200 grit wet paper.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

How am I supposed to clamp it? Put a C-clamp so it presses on the sides of the fretboard?

When the top on an acoustic has a crack, it is possible to close it by humidifying the wood but this must be quite different.

I'm no expert, LaXu, but it seems to me that to clamp it at the sides would have little effect on that crack. the sawdust/glue idea works on ebony fretboards cosmetically but your (and the next owner's) biggest concern is more structural soundness and stability (stopping the crack from getting worse) as well as making sure one doesn't feel that crack when playing (is it noticable to the touch?). That should be achievable, I think. And if the cosmetic aspect didn't work, you can mention to the buyer what was done to insure it is safe and reliable.

Does the crack goes past the glued joint? That's odd. Looks like it took a blow.

Good luck in any case!

• Members

Believe it or not, it cracked from being lifted off a stand! Maybe a result of the Finnish winter or something, can't really think of anything else.

The crack doesn't hurt playability at all, can't really feel it. I suppose I have to try filling it with thin superglue (the one that flows like water) and some sawdust.

Archived