What are the best Korean guitars?

sonnyg84

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I own two Dillions, one is a Les Paul copy and the other is their ES-335 copy. Very happy with both, including the pick-ups. I e-mail John Dillion to ask him about his pick-ups and he said the company makes them themselves. I advise anyone who can to give them a play. In their price range I haven't played better, although I have not tried the Korean Tokais, which I would very much like to give a shot.

• Members

Originally posted by oggy

But who manufactures guitars in korea for these companys?

One of the various factories that do several different brands. I think Deans are made by Cor-Tek (Cort) as are Ibanez..possibly Schecter too. Samick is another major player and makes guitars for many brands.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

One of the various factories that do several different brands. I think Deans are made by Cor-Tek (Cort) as are Ibanez..possibly Schecter too. Samick is another major player and makes guitars for many brands.

Cor-Tek also makes guitars for Fender, Hamer, and Hohner. I'm sure there are many others made at their factory as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

They looked pretty nice but the LP one had blue strings on it (what the...
:confused:
). Didn't play them though. Anyone seen one of those?

DR Strings makes colored strings. I know of them in Black, Blue, and Red, but they might be available in other colors.

Suppose to be pretty good strings, and they are endorsed by many 'well known' individuals.

drstrings.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by VanR

My Yamaha Pacifica 412V was made in Korea. Best axe I ever played. Now appearing with EMG's.

Edit: I think maybe I need black knobs and switch tip. What do you guys think?

IM000373.jpg

Nice! Black knobs wld complete the transition to the dark side, my young apprentice... :D

btw, did Yammy shift their Pacifica production to Korea? I thought they always make them in Kao Shiong, Taiwan?

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

Austin guitars are from St Louis Music (Alvarez, Crate, Ampeg)

I somehow had a feeling you'd answer that question jj. Thanks for the link. The LP style one with the blue strings was the Vintage Rock Custom in Cherryburst. The blue strings didn't look right against that body.

I bet they sell some of those on Lamar eh? ;)

• Members

Originally posted by lloop9

Nice! Black knobs wld complete the transition to the dark side, my young apprentice...
:D

btw, did Yammy shift their Pacifica production to Korea? I thought they always make them in Kao Shiong, Taiwan?

I don't know but that is what mine says on the back.

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

I somehow had a feeling you'd answer that question jj. Thanks for the link. The LP style one with the blue strings was the Vintage Rock Custom in Cherryburst. The blue strings didn't look right against that body.

I bet they sell some of those on Lamar eh?
;)

Actually, I don't think anyone in town carries them - sometimes I see them in the pawns, always strat/tele/acoustics

Haven't seen the hollows or LPs

• Members

I've got three Korean guitars in my collection (four American, one Mex and one Japanese) and they are as good as any. They are: a 2002 Ibanez Artstar AF120 w/ solid wood construction, top quality hardware and super 58 pus (I replaced the pus with SD59s for a fatter sound) it is superb; a 2001 Brawley Custom Threat - Swamp Ash, excellent hardware, Wilkinson bridge, graphite nut, excellent no-name pus, as good as recent high-end Fenders IMO; a 2002 Dillion DS-100 Strat w/ chestnut body, topnotch hardware, wilkinson style bridge, pickups not that great IMO replaced with Pete Biltofts - great twangy vibe.

• Members

The only current MIK guitar I own is my new Fernandes Ravelle Korina Ltd.

I took a chance on this one, as I had never played any other Fernandes guitars before...but I had 45 days to return it if for some reason I didn't like it.

No need for that, this one's a keeper. :D

52100_0319-med.JPG

Archived