EMG afterburner wiring help NEEDED IMMEDIATELY!!!!

nickname009

• Members

HI guys

I've got an edwards exp with dual 81s and i just installed the afterburner following the diagram that rick from EMG gave me. It's sort of wrong I believe as after I tested the guitar out, the boost is very minimal, and when not engaged, my 81s seem to have lowered in gain until re-compensated by activating the afterburner.

The problem I think is, there's an extra black wire, and i'm thinking it's a ground for passive pickups so i left it unwired, however since there are 2 black wires, i may have mixed them up, and maybe one specific one is supposed to be soldered and one isn't.

i emailed rick and asked him for help, however he's on vacation or something until june 20th and i'd like to get this done TODAY! If anybody has any experience with this please check the wiring diagram and let me know what you guys think! Thanks in advance!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This works a little different then the EMGs, the EMGs use the output jack as the "switch" the afterburner IS a switch. So you are hard wiring it directly to the battery. Its not on till you flip it, where the EMGs are on when its plugged in.

So the ground needs to be grounded and the other is battery - they both need to be hooked up. You will need to look at the unit to see wich says "G" for ground or 9v - for battery.

If this went in a guitar with passive pickups it would be connected the same way, ground then - to battery direct. Flip the switch and its juiced. red 9v + black 9v -

ALso, i dont know if these run off 18v. If you are using an 18volt mod you may want to wire it differently.

it will have a signal in, signal out (boosted) power + and - and then a ground. get it?

• Members

sorry to say that i've tried just grounding it on the volume pot as well as in the middle terminal sleeve of the output jack and i get nothing!

I specifically asked rick from emg tech to give me a wiring diagram for my setup:

1 vol, 1 tone (now replaced by the afterburner) to two EMG 81s

and he gave me that i posted before but it still has some sort of bleed or isn't properly grounded or SOMETHING!

So i ask you guys again! PLEASE HELP!

• Members

I tried :(

brown from pickups is also the braided wire from the pickups. as long as all the grounds tie together some how they dont all need to go to the output jack. They can all connect to the volume or what ever is the best place.

Booster.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

I tried
:(

brown from pickups is also the braided wire from the pickups. as long as all the grounds tie together some how they dont all need to go to the output jack. They can all connect to the volume or what ever is the best place.

Booster.jpg

bower,

two things

is the brown wire coming from the vol pot that eventually connects to the output sleeve....connected to the output jack as well???

also, the output jack on mine has one side with 3 sleeves, and 1 on another side. where is that last 1 sleeve on this diagram??

• Members

Originally posted by warriorxtman

This is why I will buy a guitar with EMG's already or pay someone. Not that you shouldn't do it yourself. If I were to try and be all excited and it didn't work I would blow a gasket too.

oh nono

the guitar worked fine with the two emg 81s and everything, my dumbass decided to try out the afterburner so i bought one and now i can't wire it up!!!!

• Members

Are you sure you didnt wire it wrong from the begining?

maybe you already fried it? does anything smell burnt or melted? did you get it used or new? isnt this a control where you pull up on the knob? i would laugh my ass off if your not pulling up or pusing the knob in to get it to function.

Maybe im wrong but i think this is a knob with a switch built in and you have to push or pull it up to get the "switch" effect. :eek:

If its a push down and its a tone control, pull up and its an after burner im gona get one. When its down and it has a tone control you can adjust then pull it up and then it becomes a control for the amount of gain while its up im gona get one. that would be really handy.

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

Are you sure you didnt wire it wrong from the begining?

maybe you already fried it? does anything smell burnt or melted? did you get it used or new? isnt this a control where you pull up on the knob? i would laugh my ass off if your not pulling up or pusing the knob in to get it to function.

Maybe im wrong but i think this is a knob with a switch built in and you have to push or pull it up to get the "switch" effect.
:eek:

If its a push down and its a tone control, pull up and its an after burner im gona get one. When its down and it has a tone control you can adjust then pull it up and then it becomes a control for the amount of gain while its up im gona get one. that would be really handy.

It's a push/pull pot yes,

there's no signal at ALL when in either position and my regular vol pot is maxed!!! Maybe I should take a pic of the wiring..

Archived