Why don't PRS guitars have binding?

EC1000

• Members

Seriously: binding is a nice feature on bodies and especially fretboards..the only PRS models I've noticed that have fretboard binding are the Santana SE and the Tremonti SE. None of the high end models have it..whats up with that?

• Members

Simple: too much work. It's way easier to mask of their "scraped" binding, and then clean up any overspray than it is to route for real binding, apply it, then scrape it smooth. Same thing on the neck. It's way easier to not bind a neck than it is to add binding. Also, with an unbound neck the frets can run all the way to the edge of the fingerboard, which offers better playabilty due to the increased fretting surface whereas with a bound neck typically the frets only run to the edge of the binding and not all the way to the edge of the fingerboard.

• Members

Originally posted by GuitArtMan

Also, with an unbound neck the frets can run all the way to the edge of the fingerboard, which offers better playabilty due to the increased fretting surface whereas with a bound neck typically the frets only run to the edge of the binding and not all the way to the edge of the fingerboard.

:rolleyes:

dude, where are you getting this? I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's even remotely true!

where have you ever seen a guitar that the fret stops when it hits the binding?

• Members

Originally posted by dougbeens

dude, where are you getting this? I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's even remotely true!

as far as the res. issue, that is the first I have ever heard that one.

Gibson neck binding is over the fret ends for one.

• Members

Simple: too much work. It's way easier to mask of their "scraped" binding, and then clean up any overspray than it is to route for real binding, apply it, then scrape it smooth. Same thing on the neck. It's way easier to not bind a neck than it is to add binding. Also, with an unbound neck the frets can run all the way to the edge of the fingerboard, which offers better playabilty due to the increased fretting surface whereas with a bound neck typically the frets only run to the edge of the binding and not all the way to the edge of the fingerboard.

increased surface area? what? you really missin that half a millimeter on your bound guitars?

binding is ugly regardless of its difficulty.

the PRS natural binding effect is awesome. PRS isnt doing it to cut corners.

• Members

Originally posted by dougbeens

Every frickin' Gibson on the planet that has not been refretted!!! Get your head out from where the sun don't shine. Yeah they have those little "nibs" on the fret ends to look cool, but you can't fret on 'em. It's the main reason I have ALL my Gibsons refretted with the frets going OVER the binding to the edge of the fingerboard - it increases the playing surface which makes for a more playable guitar. You ever owned or played a Gibson with a bound neck?

• Members

Yeah they have those little "nibs" on the fret ends to look cool, but you can't fret on 'em. It's the main reason I have ALL my Gibsons refretted with the frets going OVER the binding to the edge of the fingerboard - it increases the playing surface which makes for a more playable guitar.

That must be an individual thing because to be totally honest, it has never been a problem on my bound neck SG or other gibbo I have played that I can recall.

• Members

Originally posted by EC1000

Seriously: binding is a nice feature on bodies and especially fretboards..the only PRS models I've noticed that have fretboard binding are the Santana SE and the Tremonti SE. None of the high end models have it..whats up with that?

It simple really;

Paul just ain't that good a luthier...

;):p

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

That must be an individual thing because to be totally honest, it has never been a problem on my bound neck SG or other gibbo I have played that I can recall.

Gibson Les Paul Custom before refret. You can clearly set the fret does NOT go to the edge of the fingerborad but stops at the binding (you can also clearly see the fret nib) - sucky, sucky, sucky:

Les1.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Standard after a Pro refret with the frets going over the binding - ah, now it plays like it should:

Les2.jpg

Every damn Gibson I've seen with a bound neck was like this. (before being refretted). And every damn Gibson I've seen with a bound neck would benefit from a refret (if it hasn't been done so already).

Oh yeah. You can also see how the Gibson frets are filed flat on top - shame, shame, shame. You can see how the refretted Les Paul's frets are rounded - sweet. You can also see that from the low E string to the edge of the fingerboard on both Les Pauls is about the same distance. But from the low E string to the edge of the available fretting surface is not - the refetted Les Paul has more fretting/playing surface. This simply plays better - plain and simple.

They do look like they could use a polishing now though... :D

• Members

the binding issue is the reason I think that PRS guitars are way over price. I'm think that they are very well made and playable. But the ratio between what it cost to build a PRS and what it cost to buy them seems out of wack to me.

I have four Gibsons, but I still can't seem to swing the dough to buy a PRS, they really retain their value used also, so even a used one seem out of reach. A lot of folks here are always going on about Gibsons being over priced, but at least they give you a bunch of binding on a lot of more expensive models, and you can sometimes find a deal on a LP or SG for under a grand if you are patient and keep looking.

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

the binding issue is the reason I think that PRS guitars are way over price. I'm think that they are very well made and playable. But the ratio between what it cost to build a PRS and what it cost to buy them seems out of wack to me.

I have four Gibsons, but I still can't seem to swing the dough to buy a PRS, they really retain their value used also, so even a used one seem out of reach. A lot of folks here are always going on about Gibsons being over priced, but at least they give you a bunch of binding on a lot of more expensive models, and you can sometimes find a deal on a LP or SG for under a grand if you are patient and keep looking.

yeah, but what if you absolutely hate binding. i do. does that mean that gibsons are overpriced cause they couldnt just make the wood work and they had to add plastic to cover up the sloppy work. maybe...maybe not. it comes down to there being 2 right ways to do something. some prefer option A, some prefer option B

• Members

I think flamed maple looks SOOOOOOO.... SOOOO much better than plastic!!

Though I'm not sure why they don't have it on the neck... Oh well, I've loved most PRSi I've played. And up until you mentioned it I never noticed they didn't have neck binding. I still think they are some of the most beautiful guits ever.

I mean look...

ps13.jpg

• Members

me personally..I think a binded fretboard is nicer to play and I like the look of it. I know that it is harder/more expensive to add binding..that is why I can't figure out why some of the cheaper SE models have it.

as far as the little "nibs" on the gibsons..I have those on my les paul custom and never thought that the fret ended there but rather the binding just went over the frets , creating the "nibs"

• Members

Originally posted by Tommy Tourbus

PRS leave the binding off to cut down on manufacturing costs, then pass the savings on to us, the consumer

Exactly! Right now, you only need to trade in an average car to afford one. With binding, you'd probably need to trade in a Beemer or Lexus. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by santos

Exactly! Right now, you only need to trade in an average car to afford one. With binding, you'd probably need to trade in a Beemer or Lexus.
;)

Didn't you see the :rolleyes:

Archived