Sign in to follow this  
aero90

Schaller 475 bridge?

Anyone used one of these? They look good to me, but I'm not sure about the top loading feature or the roller saddles.

I'm not sure whether you can see it, but it's on the red guitar in the pic. The bridge has decent tone. It's VERY adjustable. Depending on string tension, alignement, and a host of other factors, the low E string can fall off the roller if you hit it too hard. I still, however, prefer it much to most other designs. String breakage is very rare BTW.

PC250005.jpg

The bridge has decent tone.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement! I'm trying to decide between one of these and the Hipshot hardtail. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by aero90

Not exactly a ringing endorsement! I'm trying to decide between one of these and the Hipshot hardtail. Any thoughts?

It sounds like a tunamatic, but I like it more since it sits clser to the body. This bridge is great for neck thru's since it doesn't really require any neck tilt.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by aero90

Anyone used one of these? They look good to me, but I'm not sure about the top loading feature or the roller saddles.

I put one on a 25.5" scale Warmoth LP copy. Without a doubt, and with all other things being equal, it has the stiffest action I've ever felt on an electric guitar. The only way to get a comfortable feel is by adding a lot of relief to the neck, which makes for slow, sloppy setup. The bridge also imparts the same twang that Telecasters produce. I will never use another one.

Thanks for the info, Tim.

I read your related post on string tension - makes sense. I think I'll go with the Hipshot hardtail bridge for this project. The only reason I was looking at other bridges is because of Warmoth's wide string-through hole spacing. I wasn't sure if this would functionally impair the narrow-spaced Hipshot because at the outer strings there is a significant mismatch.