DiMarzio Steve's Special - Yay Or Nay?

Electric I

• Members

Was thinking of pairing the Steve's Special up with a Humbucker From Hell in a guitar I've got coming this week.

What can I expect from the Special? It's supposed to retain clarity even with distortion, which is what I need since I use a lot of polychords.

Also, DiMarzio's description says the mids are scooped, so does that mean lack of low end girth?

Feel free to wax any pros or cons or even indifferences.

Cheers

• Members

Ive got a steves special in my mahogany rg2020x. The mids are scooped, you can definitely tell, but its not really drastic. Its a little dark at times, this may be because of the mahogany. I would recommend it. I had a tone zone before, and this is much better.

• Members

I think it's the worst brand name pickup I've ever used (my opinion)

I bought it because of the scooped thing too... And I'm a big fan of the Tone zone

But the steves special is just dull and uninspiring. It reminded me of a stock pickup from an import guitar.. Nothing particularly great about it and totally mediocre. There's no great attack or cut

I put it in a mahogany body bolt-on schecter c-5 guitar.. so maybe it was just the guitar... maybe it would sound better on a neck-thru or different tonewood

• Members

Thanks for the input, people.

I have a Tone Zone in a basswood guitar & lately it's been a little too mid-heavy in my ear. Which is why the Special may be a welcome change. I figure between my amp & the graphic eq in the loop I can compensate for the scooped mids the Special cuts.

Also, since I use the middle switch position for clean / slight dirt sounds, I'm thinking the supposed non-muddiness of the Humbucker From Hell may be a good pairing with the Special.

• Members

I have one in my primary guitar ( A custom string-thru RG with a Basswood body) and I wouldn't even consider using anything else. It is what John Petrucci from Dream Theater used before Dimarzio made him his own model specifically for his Music Man guitar. I fucking love it!!:cool:

• Members

I have one in my primary guitar ( A custom string-thru RG with a Basswood body) and I wouldn't even consider using anything else. It is what John Petrucci from Dream Theater used before Dimarzio made him his own model specifically for his Music Man guitar. I {censored}ing love it!!

• Members

So, you folks really want to sound like Steve Vai? Just exactly what is his sound? To my ears, it's not very distinctive nor distinguished (e.g., BB King, Robert Cray, etc). He's a great entertainer, though, and I enjoy watching him play live.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

So, you folks really want to sound like Steve Vai? Just exactly what is his sound? To my ears, it's not very distinctive nor distinguished (e.g., BB King, Robert Cray, etc). He's a great entertainer, though, and I enjoy watching him play live.

Is Vai the Steve they named it after? It makes sense since he is a DiMarzio guy and all but I thought the Breeds and Evolutions were his pickups :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by metallica_00

Is Vai the Steve they named it after? It makes sense since he is a DiMarzio guy and all but I thought the Breeds and Evolutions were his pickups
:confused:

No. Steve Blucher.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

That pickup doesn't have anything to do with Steve Vai...

Not to mention I'm sure everybody that uses a JB sounds exactly like Jeff Beck...

• Members

I have a Steve's Special in an old Kramer Pacer which is a maple body (I think) and fretboard. When I had a lower gain Marshall style amp (Crate VC120, 120watt EL34 based) it didn't do it for me but into my Mesa DC-5 combo it sounds great.

Part of the trick is the wiring as the Steve's Special has mismatched coils, one treble one bass. Put the treble coil towards

the bridge. I use a 1 meg pot with no tone control and a three way mini switch for single coil sound from the treble coil in the bridge position. With the vol rolled half back its crunchy and full up saturated.

• Members

I just went to the dimarzio site and only thing i see is the steve moorse pickup. When you guys said scooped mids i though WTF, the tone chart shows ALL mids.

oh man, now i see it. There is a down arrow? dang more pups. lol

• Members

Originally posted by JvK

When I had a lower gain Marshall style amp (Crate VC120, 120watt EL34 based) it didn't do it for me but into my Mesa DC-5 combo it sounds great.

That's in line with DiMarzio's description of being suited for high gain amps.

Originally posted by JvK

Part of the trick is the wiring as the Steve's Special has mismatched coils, one treble one bass. Put the treble coil towards the bridge.

Is there any marking/indication on the pickup itself to let you know which coil is which?

Originally posted by JvK

I use a 1 meg pot with no tone control and a three way mini switch for single coil sound from the treble coil in the bridge position. With the vol rolled half back its crunchy and full up saturated.

What are the differences and/or advantages of using a 1 meg pot?

Again, thanks for all the input, everyone.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

More drive/gain and a little high end, you may or may not like it with a given setup. With a treb bleed cap across (I use no tone control) you can set an amp up to get a nice crunch with it rolled

back or full saturation rolled up.

• 14 years later...
  • Members

And if you get any pickup that doesn't sound good in a particular guitar, you can always save it and try it out on another guitar. I have a box that has over 40 different pickups.

I recently finished a double neck ( 6/ 12 string) guitar.

The six string has a Floyd Rose with a  Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon ( 10.20 k ohms ) in the neck position, a Bill Lawrence XL 500 ( 11.34k ohms) in the mid position and a Dragonfire Fat Screamer ( 17.89k ohms ) in the bridge position.

On the 12 string, it has a Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell in the neck position and Eric Johnson pickup in the bridge position.

All those pickups were put away because the didn't sound too good in the other guitars that I've worked in the past.

Who knows , if that Steve Special doesn't sound too good , save it for another guitar .

BTW  the Steve Special is a great pickup.

• Members
14 hours ago, AJ6stringsting said:

And if you get any pickup that doesn't sound good in a particular guitar, you can always save it and try it out on another guitar. I have a box that has over 40 different pickups.

I recently finished a double neck ( 6/ 12 string) guitar.

The six string has a Floyd Rose with a  Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon ( 10.20 k ohms ) in the neck position, a Bill Lawrence XL 500 ( 11.34k ohms) in the mid position and a Dragonfire Fat Screamer ( 17.89k ohms ) in the bridge position.

On the 12 string, it has a Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell in the neck position and Eric Johnson pickup in the bridge position.

All those pickups were put away because the didn't sound too good in the other guitars that I've worked in the past.

Who knows , if that Steve Special doesn't sound too good , save it for another guitar .

BTW  the Steve Special is a great pickup.

Cool!

Pics of the 6/12?

Archived