Why Is There No Love For Recording Schools?

Tgrimley

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think there's much wrong with going to music school if you come from an area where there's little opportunity to record/gig or whatever. It was like that for me and I picked up some valuable experience early on, not to mention a qualification that was worth a couple of A-levels, which enabled me to get into Uni a few years later . . . where I wisely chose not to do music again! People shouldn't go and do a music course and expect to come out an expert though, the best they can teach you are some of the processes, the rest you have to teach yourself.

• Members

I don't think there's much wrong with going to music school if you come from an area where there's little opportunity to record/gig or whatever. It was like that for me and I picked up some valuable experience early on, not to mention a qualification that was worth a couple of A-levels, which enabled me to get into Uni a few years later . . . where I wisely chose not to do music again! People shouldn't go and do a music course and expect to come out an expert though, the best they can teach you are some of the processes, the rest you have to teach yourself.

That's exactly what I have been saying. Not everyone is born with a sterling silver spoon in their mouth.

• Members

It's funny how some of the older producers/engineers sneer at the kids coming out of music schools, like they're at risk of losing their jobs to them - they won't, you can't teach the experience the older engineers have got. Music school isn't a jump up the ladder at all, you still have to get out there and graft afterwards, starting at the bottom.

• Members

"I don't think there's much wrong with going to music school if you come from an area where there's little opportunity to record/gig or whatever."

I do, but mostly because if there are no opportunities it mostly means there is no work. That wouldn't be bad in itself, but there is an industry in the US designed to take $15K-$30K from folks n order to give them a profession.

That's wrong. It's not out of worry that folks are going to take the places of older folks-- it's out of the fact that there are no places to take. Collecting money to train people in jobs that do not exist is a scam.

• Members

Well obviously if you have any aspirations you have to leave your local area if there aren't any opportunities or work there. With music colleges and the like though, it's just the way it's gone with "higher" education. In the UK, everything's been re-jigged so pretty much everyone can go to college or university. Obviously that's good, everyone deserves a chance, but to allow everyone to go they've introduced all these Mickey Mouse courses which focus on turning you into a jack of all trades, rather than schooling you to be an expert in one particular thing.

• Members

What I actually meant that anyone who knows vinyl will instantly notice just how "flat" MP3's sound in comparison.

Well, since most vinyl was recorded back before hyper compression, and in those days all the equipment was pretty much analog rather than digital, I'd be curious as to what the comparison would be between a vinyl record recorded in 1978 and one recorded today. I agree mp3s don't stack up to vinyl, but I wonder how much of the difference is between the recordings themselves. Just a thought.

• Members

It's funny how some of the older producers/engineers sneer at the kids coming out of music schools, like they're at risk of losing their jobs to them - they won't, you can't teach the experience the older engineers have got. Music school isn't a jump up the ladder at all, you still have to get out there and graft afterwards, starting at the bottom.

That is so true.

• Members

The sound quality and volume could be very inconsistent on vinyl,
even on the same album.

That was pretty rare in my experience. I recorded a vinyl album and they used a peak volume average meter in mastering. I never noticed much inconsistency on vinyl records. What I do notice, though, is in the MP4s I've bought from Itunes, anything older than about 1985, and particularly the stuff recorded in the 70s, is recorded and produced at much lower volume levels than the stuff put out today. I was running my ipod at a gig for break music and I was playing Tom Petty's "Damn The Torpedos" album. It ended, and next up was a new Robben Ford album recorded a few years ago. Holy crap, people about jumped out of their seats and I had to run from the bar to the PA to turn it down. Someone told me I needed to set my ipod to play everything at the same volume. Turns out it was already set to do that.

• Members

I always import all my tunes into my DAW and get all levels the same. I hate being surprised by a super hot track or one I can't turn up enough..........

I do exactly the same. If the volumes need turning up or down I just go into the get info and adjust accordingly.

• Members

That was pretty rare in my experience. I recorded a vinyl album and they used a peak volume average meter in mastering. I never noticed much inconsistency on vinyl records. What I do notice, though, is in the MP4s I've bought from Itunes, anything older than about 1985, and particularly the stuff recorded in the 70s, is recorded and produced at much lower volume levels than the stuff put out today. I was running my ipod at a gig for break music and I was playing Tom Petty's "Damn The Torpedos" album. It ended, and next up was a new Robben Ford album recorded a few years ago. Holy crap, people about jumped out of their seats and I had to run from the bar to the PA to turn it down. Someone told me I needed to set my ipod to play everything at the same volume. Turns out it was already set to do that.

Ye ole "Volume War" strikes again. I hate that. As a side note, I personally think that the mp3 file format gets blamed, a LOT, for what is really the Volume War.

You know, the whole "vinyl" thing almost reminds me of the wine market. There have been many studies about wine quality where wine "experts" could not tell much difference between a $30 bottle of wine and a $300 bottle. Often overlooked by vinyl lovers is the fact that the music they're hearing has been EQ'd and compressed to work with the vinyl medium. Too much dynamic range or too much bass and you'll toss the needle right out of the groove. Got to EQ and compress that bad boy. You can make a CD sound a lot like a record by compressing it and applying the correct amount of EQ. If you love the vinyl sound, put a stereo compressor and a good EQ on your CD player. I'm surprised no one has made a rack mount piece of gear that makes your CD player sound like a record player.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived