Why Is There No Love For Recording Schools?

Tgrimley

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The real reason is that all the people running studios didn't learn in a school, so they instantly act negatively towards people with deeper underlying technical understanding doing things "properly" instead of "the way we've always done it..."

• Members

There's no such thing as a "sure bet" in terms of a college degree, but as more and more of the non-professional jobs get sent overseas, it becomes more and more important to have high level skills. Moving forward, I think you need the following:

1. Creativity

2. Ability to solve real world problems

3. Ability to work with other people

4. Very high level of technological ability (ie skilled on a computer or any other device)

I think Video Game Designer is the new Rock Star. Sooo many kids want to do it, but very few will end up with a career in it. Just like music, though, it is possible to do it your own way. There's money to be made in writing for the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/Android market. Write a kick ass app and you can make some money. There's a kid who wrote a game that temporarily knocked Angry Birds out of the number one slot. It can be done.

But the difference between writing a hit app for the iPhone and writing a hit song is that it's very difficult to pirate a hit app and it's very easy to pirate a hit song. Apple figured it out. They make the hardware, they run the store, they create the rules for the software. I'm an iPhone developer (my side business is) and Apple has everything locked down. Your app can only play in its own sandbox - it literally can't do anything else. Apple takes 30% of your sales, which is a lot... but it's the only iPhone store in town. You don't hear anyone bitching about "DRM" on an iPhone application. And developers are flocking to the platform like mad. That and Android. So they've created an awesome platform where piracy is not an issue, where all sales come from a single spot, and where the small software developer can sell stuff right next to Microsoft.

As for audio recording? Too narrow a field with too few jobs. Audio/Video in general is a better bet - The more varied your talents the better.

The future will belong to the kids who are creative, really good with a computer, and can solve problems. Oh, and work well with others.

I think you pretty much nailed it. Music is not a good place to be at the moment, however apps seems to be the way forward.

• Members

Well yes, just as some people still major in sociology, philosophy or "gender studies." Hard to bitch about graduating with a bunch of debt and not being able to get a job afterward, though.

I think that's one thing about some of the current lawsuits for different trade schools and stuff. The plaintiffs are saying that the employment potential got misrepresented. NY Law School and Cooley Law School are both getting sued because of that. Which I think is kind of like a locksmithing school getting broken into.

but like BS (oooh, that didn't come out right) was saying...if the students are actually aware of the odds and their advisers were honest, then that's a different deal from what the people in the lawsuits are dealing with.

That can be the problem with just throwing all in and "living the dream" without much forethought . In a lot of dreams, gravity is a lot less harsh. In dreams, women find my attractive :p

In dreams..

gmsrO8xpe-w

• Members

Students are made aware of the current situation as far as the recording industry is concerned. If they sign up and then don't find a job (or the job that they want that's down to them) Unfortunately, that doesn't stop them from trying. Or blaming the school if they don't get what they wanted.

• Members

My son graduated from college a year and a half ago with s Bachelor of Science degree, emphasis on pre-med. He went to an expensive private college at 34k a year and has some student loan debt that he intends to repay once he's a doctor (he just got accepted to a med school in Cal. but is interviewing in Chicago and Philadephia this week to see if he likes them better). One of the guys in his dorm when he was a freshman was bitching and moaning last week because he also graduated from the same school with a degree and can't find a job. His major? "Peace Studies.":facepalm:

• Members

I met a guy 25 years ago who had a small studio-he was recording bands, writing music, etc. Pretty modest setup, but he was always learning, upgrading his gear, moving into the new stuff as it came along. He worked with good people. One of his guys recorded some of my music on 2", then a few years later ADATS, then later still protools. That engineer is a full time composer now. The guy who owned the studio now has a recording school backed by a major university, as well as the studio, His production dept. works on major projects including big time video game music, commercial music, etc. The guy is very successful. What I think it means is that there is still an industry, but like every other business, it takes determination, will, and staying power to succeed. I don't know if he went to a school or not, but it doesn't matter. What got him where he is today is all the stuff he did over the last 25, not what he did before.

• Members

For privat studio owners, recording and mixing often does not create a sufficient and regular income. I pay average $5000 for getting a song mixed, that's a good day for the mixer, but what does he do the rest of the week when he has no commision. We don't pay higher studio rates for recording well known artists, the rates are the same as for any other clients.

In the digital age it is still the same as in the old days, on the production side only the composer and the producer makes a substantial income, and on the marketing side the owners of the distribution, all other people work on a salary at best.

• Members

Students are made aware of the current situation as far as the recording industry is concerned. If they sign up and then don't find a job (or the job that they want that's down to them) Unfortunately, that doesn't stop them from trying. Or blaming the school if they don't get what they wanted.

This is a bold faced lie! I was told that they school had tons of contacts and finding a gig would be no problem because they had a great job placement record. The gigs I did were all because of me and my connections not the schools. The school basically did little to nothing after graduation. It was a waste of money.

The people I met in the industry said the degree was a waste and not needed. I already had experience running live sound so I was able to get my foot in the door in spite of the school. Sound schools are a waste of money PERIOD! You can get your foot in the door with determination and hard work. Dont be afraid to use a broom. Most companies will teach a hard worker what they need them to know.

• Members

For privat studio owners, recording and mixing often does not create a sufficient and regular income.
I pay average $5000 for getting a song mixed, that's a good day for the mixer, but what does he do the rest of the week when he has no commision.
We don't pay higher studio rates for recording well known artists, the rates are the same as for any other clients.

In the digital age it is still the same as in the old days, on the production side only the composer and the producer makes a substantial income, and on the marketing side the owners of the distribution, all other people work on a salary at best.

Any studio engineer who can't live on 5k a week needs to move out of the Ritz Carlton.

• Members

As for audio professionals working for tv stations, new agencies and video production companies, there are of course thousands of jobs worldwide. If you think locally, that's another thing, you may get a job, if not you look around globally.

Right...book a flight across the Atlantic to interview for a below living wage job. "Hey, I'll find a room mate!":facepalm:

Archived