Quick truss rod question

Metal|Boy

• Members

My guitar has a bow like that:

Head

(

Body

Which should I turn truss rod to straighten the neck? CW or CCW?

I'm maybe dumb, cause I don't understand those guides at different sites around the net. Those pics of guitar bows and directions on which way to turn seem very relative to me.

Thanx

• Members

seems logical to me that you would turn the truss rod CCW to take the bow out, but i very well could be wrong.

the reason i say that, is turning it right would it most situations tighten things, thus creating more of a bow. going left would loosen things allowing the bow to relax.

am i correct? i am also interested in the answer.

• Members

Originally posted by ghastlyone

CW. Your guitar has too much up-bow and needs to be straightened to remove relief. CCW will create even more of an up-bow.

I thought tightening the rod made the headstock tip forward, so you'd need to slacken it?

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

I thought tightening the rod made the headstock tip forward, so you'd need to slacken it?

the 'ol saying of course= righty tighty, lefty loosey

tightening it CW strengthens the neck vs. the string tension and reduces the up-bow

loosening the truss rod CCW increases the up-bow on the neck created by string tension

so tightening makes the headstock tip back. If it was too tight you would have a back-bow'd neck. and you would have to loosen the truss rod

Head

( = tighten truss rod

Body

Head

) = loosen truss rod

Body

Metal|Boy: make sure to study up and get the right tools (truss rod wrench, steel rule, feeler gauges, capo ect) before attempting to adjust your neck and action or take it to a tech or somebody that can run you through the process. Some have completely ruined their necks by not knowing what they are doing. :eek:

• Members

Wait a minute here... What way is the guitar suppose to be facing? Would the pickups be facing the left or the right? Either way I'll try to explain this the best I can... Your neck either has an up-bow or a back-bow. Up-bow pushes the surface of the fretboard away from the strings, this would cause a gap between the strings and fretboard in the middle of the neck. If you have an up-bow that means you have too much relief, in which case you tighten the truss rod (clockwise) and remove relive. However if your guitar has back-bow it's the opposite. Back-bow basically pulls the fretboard toward the strings. In this situation you'd need to add relief by loosening the truss rod (counter-clockwise)

surface of fretboard--> )

surface of fretboard--> (

• Members

Originally posted by ghastlyone

Head

( = tighten truss rod

Body

Head

) = loosen truss rod

Body

That isn't necessarily true... It all depends on which direction the guitar is facing. At first I told myslef he just needs to tighten it, but he never made it clear were the fretboard was... So really it could go either way...

• Members

Originally posted by MarshallTim

That isn't necessarily true... It all depends on which direction the guitar is facing. At first I told myslef he just needs to tighten it, but he never made it clear were the fretboard was... So really it could go either way...

I don't know why he would be looking at his neck upside down but you do have a point.

• Members

I use this as my set-up/truss rod guide:

http://www.fender.com/support/setup/othersetup.php

More info, here at HC:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=867659

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=935329

(From the link in my sig, below, "Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?")

• Members

you look at the screw head on, and it tightens(shortens the truss rod) like a regular screw.

now, whatever the case, you gotta remember how the strings are pullin on the neck.

if you wanna move with the strings, you listen so the neck resists less.

if you wanna work against the strings, you tighten it.

thats all there really is to it.

you can figure it out intuitively, easily, as long as you know how the truss rod screw reacts. and its exactly like a normal screw.

CW tightens it.

CCW loosens it.

you can also experiment just a little, just to prove it to yourself and see it.it aint gonna hurt. unless you go he man on the thing.

it doesnt take much movement to make the adjustments.

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

...it doesnt take much movement to make the adjustments.

1/8 of a turn at a time ought to do it. Wait 30 minutes in between turns. When you think it's right, test again after waiting overnight.

Doing truss rod adjustments correctly is one reason a professional set-up typically has a several-day waiting period for the work to be completed.

Archived