Hardtail Strat vs. 3 single coil Tele?

newbie chick

• Members

I have a hardtail Japanese Strat( 3 SC's, rosewood covered neck and a through body bridge. I am considering buying a G&L Tribute ASAT, ( solid body ash body and maple neck) and I am wondering what it would sound like with 3 single coils. I have seen many 3 single-coil teles in country music and wonder if there would be much difference in sound from the Strat I already own. My interest is country rock (kind of a Dire Straits sound) with a SS Vox amp. Thanks in advance.

• Members

The bridge plate is a major contributor to the twang of a Tele IMO. A Strat just won't get you there. Sounds like you want something along the lines of a Nashville Tele. Tele bridge single coil, Strat single coil in the middle and Tele neck pickup. That way you get the Tele twang and the Strat quack all in one package.

• Members

I just got an ASAT tribute and I love it. My first Tele type. It had an intonation issue but I corrected it. I don't think the Tributes are available with 3 pick ups. They offer the Z-3 but it's over twice as much. I agree a 3 single coil axe with metal Tele bridge and an on off switch for the bridge pick up would be ideal. Maybe modifying a Nashville Tele would be the way to go. I don't know of any that come that way stock.

obligatory pic

asat2.jpg

• Members

If you find the right bridge pick up, it should sound almost exactly the same as a tele.

there is one difference that i can hear, and its the different angles of the bridge pups, from strat to tele. I think the bass side of a tele is closer to the neck than a strat(larger angle). I think that gives the tele a little bassier tone in the bridge.

But the main difference between a strat sound and a tele sound, is the different single pick ups. As well as the fact, that most teles have larger necks.

I have a hardtail strat with a rio grande stelly in the bridge. I think they took too much treble out of this pick up. A little more treble, and it would sound exactly like a tele. the highs dont roll of as easily, pop off as easily as one a tele. its a darker pick up. Monster on dirty sounds.

Moral of the story? because of the very different pick ups in your strat, theyll sound very different. A tele has the smaller, covered single coil in the neck and the much bigger single coil in the bridge.

Here are thumbnails of my strat. Coincidentally, its japanese as well.

th_Buttershardtail.jpg

th_BeefandButter.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by newbie chick

Great looking ASAT. I have never played a semi-hollowbody tele. How much different do they sound from a solid body?

Not as much punch, but more "open" sounding, if that makes sense. Initial note doesn't hit you as much with that "twang". The most musical guitar I've ever played is an American series thinline tele that my buddy owns...not the Mexican ones. The American retail for over $1000. This one was 2 single coils. He was considering selling it, and I borrowed it from him for a week for some recording. I couldn't believe he was going to sell the thing...it was one of my favorite guitars of all time afterwards. He now agrees it's the best...using it on all his solo material. This is a guy who has a custom built Les Paul from Gibson and is in a major touring band. There's just something 3 dimensional about it, that even in a three piece, it fills up a ton of space with beautiful sound.

• Members

Originally posted by browndirtcowboy

What is that "gunstock oil tint" G&L uses? It sure purties up them geetars.

It's just a stain they put in the finish. That and the birdseye do look good together.

• Members

I have a hardtail Japanese Strat( 3 SC's, rosewood covered neck and a through body bridge. I am considering buying a G&L Tribute ASAT, ( solid body ash body and maple neck) and I am wondering what it would sound like with 3 single coils. I have seen many 3 single-coil teles in country music and wonder if there would be much difference in sound from the Strat I already own. My interest is country rock (kind of a Dire Straits sound) with a SS Vox amp. Thanks in advance.

If you can find an early 90s Tele Deluxe Plus with the Lace Sensor pickups (1 blue/neck, 2 red/bridge), you can modify it to have a 3 s/c configuration. Mind you, I put a humbucker in the bridge of mine, but only because I wanted to. There was no additional body routing involved, either. The rout under the pickguard was large enough for 2 single coils, and it was just a matter of replacing the 2 red Lace Sensors at the bridge with a humbucker and plastic ring. Just a thought....

4e241416.jpg

• Members

GCDEF and Playdabluz, very good looking guitars. Do you feel that the cost saving of a Tribute is worth the loss og handwork over the American built G&L"s? Would G&L be willing to build my ASAT with 3 SC's as a custom project or would I have to buy a stock model and have the work done by a shop tech? Did either of you play the ASAT with the G&L custom fixed bridge vs. the traditional Tele' plate bridge? The necks are beautiful and I am wondering if they are contoured like the American G&L's? Da-bluz', thanks for the hint about the 90's teles. I might have to look into that.

Sorry, I've never played a Tribute but I hear they're very nice. As far as I know, G&L will custom build you what you want. You may want to ask the folks at www.buffalobrosguitars.com as they're well connected with G&L. Also, there's a G&L forum www.guitarsbyleo.com that may help.

• Members

GCDEF and Playdabluz, very good looking guitars. Do you feel that the cost saving of a Tribute is worth the loss of handwork of the American built G&L's? Would G&L be willing to build my ASAT with 3 SC's as a custom project or would I have to buy a stock model and have the work done by a shop tech? Did either of you play the ASAT with the G&L custom fixed bridge vs. the traditional Tele' plate bridge? The necks are beautiful and I am wondering if they are contoured like the American G&L's? Da-bluz', thanks for the hint about the 90's teles. I might have to look into that.

Not sure about whether the Tribute would be an acceptable alternative to the G&Ls. You would have to go someplace where they sell both and sit down and play both models. Obviously, they had to cut some corners on the Tributes to make them more affordable, but I have played some Tributes (both Tele and Strat) that were quite good. I have played a few ASATs with the fixed bridge, and they seem to be of very good quality. I'm not wild about the Tribute necks, though. They're too "white", IMO...and, after seeing (and playing) those G&L tinted necks, I don't think I could opt for a Tribute. But that's just me. OTOH, some of the pickups I've heard in the G&Ls did not impress me as much as the ones in the Tributes. Go figure! So, like I said, you should find a shop that sells both, sit down with them and see what's good for you in terms of sound, playability and fit.

I've attached a pic of a stock 90s Tele Plus Deluxe. If you look close, you can see the 2 pickups in the bridge, and there's also a toggle switch on the control plate where you can split the coils or use both at the same time. This one has a fixed bridge, whereas mine has a Strat-type bridge, with a trem.

http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/images/Inventory/Guitars/Fender/Tele/Deluxe_1993_body.jpg

Archived