Drumagog, Drum Rehab or Sound replacer?

I own and occasionally use Sound Replacer, and it's worked well for me. It does have a few limitations - it's RTAS only (so that means you can forget about using it with anything other than Pro Tools), and you can only load three samples into it, which limits the variations. IIRC, Drumagog has the abiliity to load more samples at once. I've never really used it, but I've heard good things about it from several people, and it is VST compatible, which means it will work with a wider range of DAW software applications than Sound Replacer does.

• 1 year later...

Like I said, I've never really used Drumagog, but I'm going to give it a try and see what all the fuss is about. From what I've heard / read, it's significantly more capable than SoundReplacer. As I mentioned in my recent EQ review of the Pro Tools Music Production Toolkit, SoundReplacer is a good plug in, and was certainly groundbreaking when it was first released, but it's been essentially unchanged for several years now, and could probably do with an update. :)

• Members

I own Sound replacer and Drumagog and imho Sound replacer is much more accurate at placing your samples.You will have a better visual of your "hits" and be able to more accuratly place them as to where Drumagog I get quite a few false triggers that I have to fix.I have'nt touched Drumagog since I bought Sound replacer.

I own Sound replacer and Drumagog and imho Sound replacer is much more accurate at placing your samples.You will have a better visual of your "hits" and be able to more accuratly place them as to where Drumagog I get quite a few false triggers that I have to fix.I have'nt touched Drumagog since I bought Sound replacer.

Do you mean you find SoundReplacer more accurately replaces the samples on the timeline (a very important consideration if true), or do you mean Drumagog lacks SR's waveform display with visual threshold view, therefore making it more difficult to avoid false / unintended triggering?

Do you find the three sample limit of SoundReplacer to be sufficient for most of your needs? I like SR, but I wish the screen redraws of the waveform were faster when zooming, and I wish it had more than three replacement samples available.

• Members

This is where the "freeze" function in Sonar comes in handy...

:thu:

Yeah, well, I have an old version of Pro Tools, so don't rub it in!!! :D:D

I bounce my Drumagog stuff down for numerous reasons...no "freezing" capability, archiving, and the fact that I usually use my older version of Pro Tools in OS 9 because I still have a lot more plug-ins that my newer version of Pro Tools in OS X doesn't have (for those who don't know, Drumagog doesn't work with Pro Tools 5.1/OS 9.2.2).

• Members

Do you mean you find SoundReplacer more accurately replaces the samples on the timeline (a very important consideration if true), or do you mean Drumagog lacks SR's waveform display with visual threshold view, therefore making it more difficult to avoid false / unintended triggering?

Do you find the three sample limit of SoundReplacer to be sufficient for most of your needs? I like SR, but I wish the screen redraws of the waveform were faster when zooming, and I wish it had more than three replacement samples available.

The waveform display and visual threshold in SR is crucial for me personally...........checking all my hit's for accuracy might take a bit longer but it also give's me confidence that my edit's are true.The 3 sample limit is fine for what I do.I only use SR to accent drum hit's and not totally replace them.Usually a 10%-30% mix of the sample into the original drum hit will get me to where I want to go.For example in my snare sample folder I have "high end" hits,"mid hits" and "low end hits".If the real drummer's snare lack's top end then i'll blend in one of my "high end" hits to give me the sound I want.I kinda use it more like an eq thing more then anything else but also the overall added tone of the sample,even at a 20% mix usually round's out the real snare's sound perfectly for me.:thu:

• Moderators

I sometimes get a substantial delay with Drumagog. That wasn't always the case, but since moving to Pro Tools 7.3, I've noticed latency. One way around this, and maybe a good idea anyway, is to print your triggered samples from either SR or Drumagog and shift them back into alignment. Then bounce your blend to your final Snare, Kick or what have you...

I never noticed this latency with SR but did find the 3 sample limit less expressive.

• Moderators

IMO, Drumagog is no better or worse than using a drum brain (like a Roland V-Drum unit) with inputs from the individually recorded tracks. Which is to say it works well on clean single hits, but not so well on subtleties on the snare, for example. In these cases, just as with the drum brain, you have to carefully blend between the original track and the triggered sound.

Terry D.

IMO, Drumagog is no better or worse than using a drum brain (like a Roland V-Drum unit) with inputs from the individually recorded tracks. Which is to say it works well on clean single hits, but not so well on subtleties on the snare, for example. In these cases, just as with the drum brain, you have to carefully blend between the original track and the triggered sound.

Terry D.

The same is true of SoundReplacer IMO. If you have a lot of crosstalk and bleed - say from a drummer who bashes his hi hats too heavily while barely tapping his snare, it's going to cause problems with any sound replacement tool, whether it be a trigger to MIDI interface or a software plug in. There are tricks for getting around that (copy the track and drastically filter it before doing the replacement, manually edit out extraneous hits, etc.), but if it's a bad enough source file, you're still going to have problems. Of course, those are often the very sorts of tracks you'd want to replace to begin with! :D

The waveform display and visual threshold in SR is crucial for me personally...........checking all my hit's for accuracy might take a bit longer but it also give's me confidence that my edit's are true.The 3 sample limit is fine for what I do.I only use SR to accent drum hit's and not totally replace them.Usually a 10%-30% mix of the sample into the original drum hit will get me to where I want to go.For example in my snare sample folder I have "high end" hits,"mid hits" and "low end hits".If the real drummer's snare lack's top end then i'll blend in one of my "high end" hits to give me the sound I want.I kinda use it more like an eq thing more then anything else but also the overall added tone of the sample,even at a 20% mix usually round's out the real snare's sound perfectly for me.
:thu:

Cool - thanks. :)

• Members

I actually own all three of those. I stopped using Sound Replacer completely after getting Drumagog. Now I use Drumagog or Drum Rehab, mostly depending on which product has the sample I'm looking for.

Drumagog is an excellent plug, but has a few weird performance issues in PT. The latency (whether using the fixed or the standard latency version of the RTAS plug) is a bummer. It makes it impossible to audition the replacement against the rest of the kit unless you first slip the track you're replacing forward.

Drumagog also does this quirky thing where it steals communication from the computer keyboard from Pro Tools while Drumagog is the active window.

Drum Rehab has no latency issues. You can also zoom in on the waveform and delete and add individual triggers, but I'm still getting used to working in that mode. I find setting the overall threshold is not as as intuitive as the visual mode in Drumagog. However, controlling at what levels the individual samples kick in is a breeze.

• Members

The waveform display and visual threshold in SR is crucial for me personally...........checking all my hit's for accuracy might take a bit longer but it also give's me confidence that my edit's are true.

You mean this?: visual_triggering.gif

:wave:

Drumagog is essential for mixing a modern sounding record, IMO. I usually run 4+ solid sounding hits on random with dynamic tracking turned OFF. I then mix that and the original snare together at something like 40% sample, 60% snare. The snare track and the random multisamples help keep it sounding a bit more realistic with a VERY consistent sound(but no machine gunning!). If the original track is too peaky, I run a limiter on there to tame it a bit.

Also, check out the Drumagog forums for some great sounding samples from users. If you can find the Andy Sneap GOGs, they sound great, too.

• Members

You mean this?:
visual_triggering.gif

:wave:

Drumagog is essential for mixing a modern sounding record, IMO. I usually run 4+ solid sounding hits on random with dynamic tracking turned OFF. I then mix that and the original snare together at something like 40% sample, 60% snare. The snare track and the random multisamples help keep it sounding a bit more realistic with a VERY consistent sound(but no machine gunning!). If the original track is too peaky, I run a limiter on there to tame it a bit.

Also, check out the Drumagog forums for some great sounding samples from users. If you can find the Andy Sneap GOGs, they sound great, too.

No............I was talking about Sound replacer.Drumagog has no wave view.

Archived