Help with recording next investment

• Members

I'm using Sonar 4 to lay down drum loops and various audio tracks (mic'd guitar, vocals, keyboards), thru an Audiofire interface. So far so good. I'm not really impressed with the plug-ins, however, and would like a good outboard reverb and compression unit for final mix/master, preferably under $1500.

Any recommendations?

Well, you need a stereo compressor if you're going to be processing your whole mix with it, and your budget leaves a pair of Distressors out of consideration... :(

For under a grand (WAY under a grand), the FMR RNC ($200 MSRP) has been the hardware compressor to beat. It's true stereo capable (not dual-mono) and sounds really good on full mixes.

Just yesterday I got one of FMR's new RNLA's for evaluation. I have not tried it on a full mix yet, but my initial impressions are very favorable. You might think of it as a RNC with a bit more "attitude". That might also be a good candidate for consideration. List is $250 on those.

As far as effects go, I'm a big fan of the long discontinued Ensoniq DP/4... you could probably pick one up on Ebay for around $400 or so. The can do four effects at once, and they really have some cool capabilities and sounds in them.

If you'd rather go with a new unit, a Lexicon or TC Electronics box might be worth looking into.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/M-One

http://www.lexiconpro.com/mpx550/index.asp

• Members

Thanks Phil,

In doing a bit more research, it seems a lot of people are keen on Waves plug-ins. Perhaps I should give plug-ins a chance, especially if higher quality options really are superior to those I've experienced.

Given that I'm trying to do some relatively simple, yet high audio quality, mixing/mastering, how would you compare the Waves (or other) plug-in bundles (Native Power pack or Gold) with the outboards you recommended?

Check out the How In The Box Are You? thread for more comments on the subject, but to me, hardware is hardware and software is software... and each has some advantages and disadvantages.

I really like the Waves plug ins and I use them fairly regularly. One nice thing about plug ins is that with a single purchase, you can use them on as many multiple tracks simultaneously as you wish - up to the limits of your available DSP / CPU power of course. :) That can also be a bit of a downside too IMO... if all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. ;)

The same holds true for hardware processors too of course... One nice thing about hardware is that you can use it before your A/D converters while tracking. Another nice thing is that it isn't going to tax your computer's CPU if you're using outboard stuff. One downside is that it can be harder to interface hardware than it is to just stick a plug in into your software DAW... but there are still some things, some tones, that hardware can give you than no one has (IMO) quite duplicated in software, so as far as I'm concerned, hardware still has its place. As does software - there's some good software effects and dynamics processing products out there too.

They're all just tools, and I don't get too religious about any of it. If it meets your needs and works for you, then go with it. :cool: I'm always happy to have a wide range and several types of tools available to me, and I prefer using hardware AND software... but some people prefer one or the other approach exclusively. Only you can determine what will suit your needs and preferred working style the best. :)

• Members

I don't want to get into a hardware vs software debate - totally agreed there is a place for both. But regarding reverbs - an idea worth considering, if your DAW can run VST plugins, is to download the excellent free convolution reverb called SIR.

If you aren't familiar with convolution reverb yet, you should be. The concept is basically a reverb that uses samples. This means that you get a taste of the actual sound of real spaces, or expensive hardware.

Yes - there are limitations - but to most peoples ears, the sound is so close that it doesn't matter. Subtleties such as tail modulation or randomisation does get lost due to it using a static sample, but I say 99% of a stunning reverb sound is still better than 100% of an average reverb sound.

Reverb is a world you can get lost in - I spend a lot of time listening to reverbs on different source material. There is no one, single solution. The big advantage of a convolution reverb is that you can get to hear and virtually experience working with rare and expensive hardware reverbs.

Before you rush out and buy a Lexicon or a TC hardware unit - do you really know which one you prefer? Can you tell the difference between a Lexicon PC60 or a 480L, or TC3000 or a Quantec or Eventide 2016? That sort of knowledge would have been hard to acquire - now it's possibe to experience for yourself, for free. Agreed - it's not exactly the same - but it's definately a taste of the real sound. If nothing else, it should help you to decide which hardware to buy. For many people, the sound is good enough for a mix as is.

• Members

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded SIR and used Sonar's VST adapter but SIR causes dropouts and doesn't seem compatible. I loads okay, screen comes up, and then audio stops. Won't start again until I delete SIR from the bin.

• Members

That's sad. Maybe a different VST wrapper, or a different convolution reverb might work. www.voxengo.com has several, and you can try the demo's painlessly. The AnalogFlux Suit has a very simple one (it doesn't even have a wet/dry mix, so must be used as a send effect) but the quality is excellent. The rest of the AF Suit is very nice too.

Voxengo makes a superb deconvolver, so you can make your own impulses - very, very cool.

Or - grab a freeware VST host just so you can experiment with SIR and get a taste for what's available.

Archived