Has anyone tried the Lexicon MX200?

• Members

I haven't heard much about this unit. It's a Lexicon rack reverb unit that has a USB port to connect to you DAW to allow it to be used as a plug-in. I really like the concept, as it seems to give the possibility of the best of both worlds - hardware processing with the ease of software. At this price point ($200 street) I'm worried that it may end up being the worst of both worlds - average reverb sound that is going to be outdated...

Lexicon MX200

• Members

Groovy:

I'm interested to see what people think as well (but probably for a different reason.) I'm the Market Manager for Lexicon, and the USB connection on MX200 (as well as the Factory Programs) were a good bit of my fault. ;)

I've only seen a few actual reviews from users on the web so far -- but they have been FLYING off the shelves -- and of course, I want some feedback.

Sure, I'm a bit biased, but having been a recording geek LONG before I worked for mfg, I think the effects sound pretty sweet -- they were very easy to dial in. I think it's TOO cheap :)

But rather than try to sell you on it -- go to a dealer and try one out... I'd be interested to see what you think.

TGB

• Members

thanks for your reply audioguru. I'll have to go see if I can hear it at the store. I haven't seen any of the user reviews...could you point me to some?

While your here, I'll ask if you can comment on the difference in sound and processing to the Pantheon reverb that came bundled with SONAR 4 PE?

• Members

Lots of comments, one review here:

One review @ HC here: http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Lexicon/mx200-1.html

One more here: http://www.americanmusical.com/amsforum/tm.asp?m=1102&mpage=1&key=?

Compared to Pantheon? I think MX200 is head and shoulders above the P in sound quality (that's just me, not the "Party Line") -- although P doesn't at all sound bad, and is way more tweakable than MX200.

BTW - After writing programs for MX200, some of the guys here asked me if I could write a whole new batch of presets for Pantheon to make it sound as good "out of the box." :D

Probably will for an LE version, or if we do an AU version.

TGBhttp://www.americanmusical.com/amsforum/tm.asp?m=1102&mpage=1&key=? http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Lexicon/mx200-1.html

• Members

WARNING - this unit is being marketed as though it can be used as a VST plugin. As I see it, nothing could be further from the truth.

It's a stereo in/out hardware reverb. You need to use the audio or s/pdif i/o. No audio is carried over USB, which is good because it appears to be USB1, not USB2.

Why are they mentioning that it works like a VST plugin, when it clearly doesn't? You cannot run multiple instances, because it's a hardware processor - definately not a VST plugin effect as understood by musicians.

My understanding is that the VST part of it is simply control software - so it's more like a SoundDiver tweaking sort of GUI that I'm guessing loads as a fake VST "plugin".

Try before you buy with this one.

Musicians need true plugin compatibility - not faked. A TC Powercore this isn't.

• Members

That's not to say the concept is a bad one ... just that I see a lot of people jumping to the wrong conclusions, and understandably so.

The more I think about the concept, the more I like about.

I've been thinking about getting a hardware reverb again (after ditching them all a couple of years ago for plugins). I've tried many, many plugins reverbs - and the standard is getting better all the time, but ultimately the brand name hardware reverbs still rule.

Convolution has given us a taste of expensive reverb, and Lexicon needs to be aware that this is what they are competing against: cheap software running impulses of expensive Lexicon hardware! So if I spend money on a Lexicon box, it better sound damn good.

Speculation on the net is that Lexicon won't put their good algorithmns into true VST plugins because of fears of piracy. That makes as much sense as the record companies not releasing new songs for fear of piracy. Sure, it will happen. But guess what, because of convolution, every kid can have 98% of the Lexicon sound for free anyway.

There are guys like me out there who need quality reverb with low CPU load, and no stupid dongles or challenge/response or other crap. I'm convinced that Hardware is where we have to go, and I don't mind paying for quality gear that will last and survive the inevitable upgrade path.

Is this it? I don't know yet, but it seems like a good idea :)

Originally posted by greendoor

WARNING - this unit is being marketed as though it can be used as a VST plugin. As I see it, nothing could be further from the truth.

I can see where things might get a little confusing, but I don't think it's quite fair to say that Lexicon is being intentionally misleading. IMO, their website (source: the link in the first post on this thread) has this to say:

STUDIO OPERATION

In the studio, advances in computer-based recording have led many engineers to value the instant control and heads-up use of plug-in effects

I was just reading a bit more about it in the FAQ section of the Lexicon site and it appears that it does do MIDI over USB, which IMO is a good thing - that means you should be able to not only control parameters but also tempo sync effects via MIDI clock messages. Definitely a good feature IMO, and more important to me personally than audio over MIDI.

• Members

Originally posted by UnderTheGroove

I haven't heard much about this unit. It's a Lexicon rack reverb unit that has a USB port to connect to you DAW to allow it to be used as a plug-in. I really like the concept, as it seems to give the possibility of the best of both worlds - hardware processing with the ease of software. At this price point ($200 street) I'm worried that it may end up being the worst of both worlds - average reverb sound that is going to be outdated...

Is this unit on par with the TC M300?? DUal engines ~~ maybe chips from the MXP-1 ??

• Members

Finally ready to sell our beloved LXP 5 ( tired of pot repairs) loved the warmth from that series >> better than our PCM 70's.

Thinking of picking up another used $300 MXP-1 ...but if this newest addition has that same quality chips installed...I may wait ...for the MX 200. Anyone have an extra MXP-1 for sale??

• Members

Originally posted by C JoGo

Finally ready to sell our beloved LXP 5 ( tired of pot repairs) loved the warmth from that series >> better than our PCM 70's.

Thinking of picking up another used $300 MXP-1 ...but if this newest addition has that same quality chips installed...I may wait ...for the MX 200. Anyone have an extra MXP-1 for sale??

I have an MPX-1 as my main vocal verb and it sounds great. It's a step above the entry level Lexicon models to my ear. I paid $700 new for it and it was worth every cent.

I'm considering a used TC verb, something that was a step below top of the line when it was new 2-3 years ago. TC-3000 maybe?

Lawrence

• Members

Audioguru - thanks for that excellent reply. They way the market is going, with idiots trying to sell software reverbs for $400+, with the added insult of dongles or PACE or C/R, I think this MX200 could be exactly what we need ... I hope I can hear one soon.

• Members

Originally posted by The Audio Cave

I have an MPX-1 as my main vocal verb and it sounds great. It's a step above the entry level Lexicon models to my ear. I paid $700 new for it and it was worth every cent.

I'm considering a used TC verb, something that was a step below top of the line when it was new 2-3 years ago. TC-3000 maybe?

Lawrence

Had the 3000 , 2000 -- the M~ONE ended up plenty fine for my clients ears.

But since we are 90% TC ..would like to have a little diversity..will look for a MPX...are they a true "dual-engine" ? ( what I really like about the TC, on all models)

I'm a fan of diversity in tools, but not having so many options that you become stuck trying to choose between them all. But in general, I like the idea of at least a few reverb / effects "options" - plug ins and hardware - from at least a few different companies. I would prefer to have something from TC, and Lexicon and Waves or whatever, over stacking my studio with devices / plugs from one company exclusively, but that's just me. :)

• Members

I really enjoyed our Lexicons, in the early days...just that their units were not all true dual engines...and TC incorporated them in every hi~low priced rack. Waiitng for the Eventides to drop in price,,,and then in the meantime >> will pick up a MXP 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As I've noted in other discussions, IMHO the TC Electronics M1XL is a superb unit, and smokes any of the lower line Lexicons for ease of use and sonic quality. Lush verbs with incredible versatility from broght and snappy to warm and rich, with incredibly reailstic tails even on the longest of decays.

Dual engines give you not one but two great sounding verbs, or any combination of effects you wish. The pitch shifting is superb, and the delays excellent.

Archived