Pssst... interested in discussing things with a true audio engineering legend?

Then check out this thread!

Yes, Bruce Swedien is in the house. :cool:

Bruce is a really nice guy and loves to discuss recording... he's more into the "feel" and emotional aspects of the recording scene, so I would take that into account when discussing things with him, but he's a wealth of information about a lot of great classic recordings - from Michael Jackson to Duke Ellington - because he's the guy who was recording them. :) So please check out that link and give him a nice welcome.

• Members

I have been a fan of the orchestra recording of the 40's with the old rca ribbon mic's.Question if you where trying to make that sound on a budget for lets say 1500 dollars

how would you do it ? nady ribbon and some mic preamps that would driver your ohms up Would you use a form of deca tree or ms stereo? I am thinking deca tree myself and maybe three ribbons

• Moderators

Originally posted by ban13

I have been a fan of the orchestra recording of the 40's with the old rca ribbon mic's.Question if you where trying to make that sound on a budget for lets say 1500 dollars

how would you do it ? nady ribbon and some mic preamps that would driver your ohms up Would you use a form of deca tree or ms stereo? I am thinking deca tree myself and maybe three ribbons

My faves were the Tosconnini recordings with the NBC orchestra. They were done in the old David Letterman studio in mono. Late 40's, early 50's.

How were they done? I haven't a clue. I always pictured a single ribbon but I'm clueless...

Archived