Anyone try a Michael Kelly Hourglass T?

StatesboroBlues

• Members

I just bought the one in the attached picture, won't get it till Friday. I have never tried one, but the reveiws of the Hourglass Q

all seem good. Closest thing to a PRS Santana I could find.

Does anyone have one?

If the attached picture doesn't turn out good, try this:

http://images.andale.com/f2/118/108/5340921/1121655711005_IM008422.JPG

• Members

I had one of these in red with gold hardware.

It was an awesome guitar!!

I sold it because I don't like gold hardward and I regret selling it.

They are really nice sounding and with the coil taps are really versatile.

I think you'll like it.

• Members

I think you will like it a lot. I have a non-trem version,and plan to get a T model next-as well as another Patriot. Great tone,etc also the pups on the T model are a bit hotter than the P.A.F. types I have in mine. My only suggestion would be to get some Sperzels or the like just to keep it in real good tune.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/shogun1/hqbodfrnt1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/shogun1/hqdrgnfull.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/shogun1/hqdrgn1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/shogun1/hqbodfrnt2.jpg

• Members

Hey jmartin,

That's good to know. It will have a very familiar feel & sound then, I had a '98 Gibson Les Paul Standard DC a couple years ago. I didn't like the 24 fret neck or the chambered body, they made it head heavy. Shouldn't have that problem with the Hourglass's 22 fret neck & solid body.

• Members

I know you will enjoy it then. It feels nice and solid,neck profile very close to the Gibby etc,yet still fairly light. Very sweet tones.

The top is thin,but it is real,and -I think-is actually an ideal ratio to the mahogany body-makes for a very even,neutral response across lows,mids,highs-no one range is out-done by the others.

Build-quality wise,it is -to me-as good as or better than any of the L.P.s Ive tried in recent years. So it is an incredible value for the money. Ive sworn off actual Gibsons now,since I can get a whole collection of these for what a single L.P. would run me.And still get the looks,feel and tone.

• Members

Looks great, I've been looking for a guitar like that. I've been wanting a LP type guitar with a trem. The PRS's look good, but they really are overpriced by about a thousand bucks. And they seem like such yuppie guitars.

The Santana's look good, but I don't really like those loud ugly stripped neck inlay's.

I checked out the Michael Kelly website. The closest dealer in the Northeast is in Maryland. I've never bought a guitar without playing it first. But I will be in Anchorage, Alaska next week, maybe I'll convince my wife to let me buy one while where on vacation!

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

The PRS's look good, but they really are overpriced by about a thousand bucks.

Let me guess, you are the type of person that just thinks the cost of the guitar makes up the price? I gaurentee you PRSs for the most part, aren't even close to being $1,000 over priced. Who are you trying to fool?

And they seem like such yuppie guitars.

Yuppie guitars?

:rolleyes:

• Members

The whole Michael Kelly (by the way not even a real person) line was designed by Ben Chafin (former head luthier for Dean guitars for 10 years) while he was associated with Elite Music brands (formerly known as Mailbox music). The tops on the whole line of guitars is a "veneer" no thicker than several sheets of paper combined, this process is done while the wood is wet and allows the saw to make extremely thin cuts.

If you like what you see in the Michael Kelly line check out Bens import line called the Chafin Volante:

volante_models.jpg

Ben also was the person who invented the sun sonic bridge that is used on Michael Kelly guitars. he also makes totally handbuilt USA models that cost 1/3 of a PRS, Gibson,or Fender Custom Shop. I own 3 Chafins and have a Volante on the way and am having a St. Croix built as we speak. Check out Bens website I assure you, you won't be disappointed.

Chafin Custom Guitars

• Members

Originally posted by Zimphire

Let me guess, you are the type of person that just thinks the cost of the guitar makes up the price? I gaurentee you PRSs for the most part, aren't even close to being $1,000 over priced. Who are you trying to fool?

Yuppie guitars?

:rolleyes:

You've got me there; yeah I stupidly thought that if a guitar's price is $4600 dollars then it would cost me $4600 dollars to buy it.

But let me clarify my statement. I think that the PRS models that are $3000 and over ought to be closer to $2000 and over. I don't think that's unreasonable. Given the workmanship, construction and materials, I think $1500 to $2000 is what a PRS should cost. I just don

• Members

I just got the guitar. It looks even better than the pictures. The flame maple top is great, nice 3D effect even if it is a veneer. Later when I change the strings I'll take a pickup out & check to see how thick the maple is. I can't find any flaws in the finish. The back is made up of three pieces of mahogany so nicely matched that it looks like one piece. I've seen other guitars in this price range where not only the grain of each piece was different, the color was different. The guitar was setup good right out of the box. The action is lower than I like it, but still no string buzz. It comes with .009s, I'll raise the action when I put some .10s on it. The neck is a little thinner than the Gibson Les Paul DC Standard, but that's OK with me, I like it thinner. Played it a little through my Fender Blues Deluxe & Vox AD50VT, it sounds great. I have a pair of Gibson '57 Classics that I was going to put on it, but I'll wait awhile to see if I still like the originals.

All in all it's a great guitar, I couldn't be happier.

The quality of some guitars made in Korea is amazing. I sold my '98 Gibson Les Paul DC Standard after I bought a new $340.00 Raven RM2000 DC & haven't missed it at all.

• Members

Originally posted by StatesboroBlues

It was a little less expensive than a PRS Sanatana III.

OK, a lot less - $369.00 plus shipping.

Christ, I thought you were showing me a boutique guitar or something; I've never heard of the manufacturer.

Now I want one. :(

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

But let me clarify my statement. I think that the PRS models that are $3000 and over ought to be closer to $2000 and over. I don't think that's unreasonable. Given the workmanship, construction and materials, I think $1500 to $2000 is what a PRS should cost. I just don

Archived