My quest for a standalone digital work station...

• Members

Hey guys. Let me give you a little background on my situation

I made my first record last summer. It was recorded on an M-Audio Firewire 410 interface into both Nuendo and Logic. We recorded 100 percent dry, did all the editing trickery we wished and then mixed with Larry Crane at Jackpot! in Portland. A few songs can be heard here:

www.cataldomusic.com/weddingcake.mp3

www.cataldomusic.com/lipsanddollars.mp3

www.cataldomusic.com/parts.mp3

That format worked very nicely for this record. My friend had the interface and laptop, I had the software and microphones (2, a Studio Projects C1 and Shure 57). We worked mostly in his basement, but could move the set-up around to various location for piano work, louder guitar work etc.

I have since moved to Minneapolis and am in a much different position. I only have the mics and a desktop computer with Nuendo. I would just buy an interface and be done with it, but the problem is I can't track in my apartment. Too loud for the neighbors and a building too noisy for recording.

What I'd like to do is buy a digital 8-track ONLY FOR TRACKING. I could take it wherever I wished, record, then dump it all into Nuendo for editing and rough mixing. Here are the features I'm hoping for:

--24 bit and at least 44 khz.

--2 XLR Ins with 48v Phantom Power

--Nice pre-amps? I'm willing to buy, but would like decent ones in the box.

--20+ Gig internal harddrive.

--At least 2 track simultaneous recording.

--Fast USB or Firewire connection.

--Less than 1000 dollars, hopefully alot less.

I don't want to mix, have any modeling, or add any effects on the machine, just track and then dump it into the computer. Any ideas? I haven't found something that I'm really excited about. Any suggestions that fulfill even some of my requirements would be welcome. Furthermore, any suggestions that would solve my PROBLEM (A less than mobile set up in a noisy environment) would be welcome.

Thanks so much guys.

Archived