Project Studio Furniture?

• Members

Hiya,

I have a Digi 002R and a JV-1080 vthat I'd like to stow away under my desk - I've checked out the SKB stuff but wondering if anyone had other recommendations? Not particularly looking for roadworthy furniture either...

Thank heaps

;)

• Members

Originally posted by mikepinkerton

I just bought a Studio RTA Producer Station from musician's friend. AWESOME! Plenty of rack space, tons of surface space, very sturdy, and quite reasonable $$-wise. Totally recommend!

-Mike

I've heard nothing but good things about those Studio RTA desks from Musicians Friend... which really surprised me, considering the incredibly low price

• Members

the Studio RTA desks do have an unbelievable price point for what each model offers compared to other studio furniture companies. they're relatively quick and easy to build with good instructions if you even need them.

however, being a person who sells these desks, i've found that the reason they're priced so low is that they aren't exactly made with very sturdy or particularly lasting components. this isn't really a problem though (unless the desk tips over and all of your gear gets smashed beyond repair, which i have heard more than one horror story of from a couple of customers) because everything they sell has an almost unlimited, no fault 10 year warranty as long as you haven't modified the desk or abused it physically. If a piece breaks, they'll send you a new one for free and just hit you with some shipping charges.

I've got a KK Audio Desk of the Wooden Series line with a custom inlay for my Tascam US2400 controller. The wood and supports are of high enough quality to where I'm not at all nervous about the giant holes I've sawed in the damned thing. Another cool mod I was able to do on it was when I got my dual LCD screens. My primary monitors are Dynaudio BM6As, and sometimes even the absolutely GIGANTIC (and superb) BM15As, so when I put two widescreens on the overbridge of the desk with the speakers, I didn't have room even for the extremely tiny KRK V4IIs (also great hollar for the dollar. I use them for cross referencing and for putting vocals into a mix). I didn't really feel like adding the clutter of some bulky 36"-42" stands, so I spent about a quarter of what a nice set of stands costs and got some floating speaker mounts for home theater rooms, threw some Auralex MoPads down, drilled like 6 holes, and now they're safely and ever so handsomely (gotta love the cute little yellow woofers) displayed on the sides of the overbridge. I oughta put up some pictures actually. It looks especially sexy.

edit for a small addition of my rambling: I really dig on everything that KK Audio makes, and it's not priced much higher than the RTA stuff. Many times you do lose a lot of the rack space and cool shelves that will come in the RTA Producer Station, but keep in mind that KK Audio make some damn fine looking stand alone racks. I've got one of the wooden double slant 16U (see this here) and I took the casters off of (and installed in my wall. what a fun job that was) the wooden, excuse me for a minute, time for some text emphasis...

FORTY SPACE VERTICAL RACK FOR UNDER SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS. SOME PLACES WILL BLOW THEM OUT FOR CLOSER TO FIVE HUNDRED.

peep this, hustler.

• Members

Originally posted by mikepinkerton

I just bought a Studio RTA Producer Station from musician's friend. AWESOME! Plenty of rack space, tons of surface space, very sturdy, and quite reasonable $$-wise. Totally recommend!

-Mike

I have one too and I'm completely happy with it. I had for well over a year. I used the bottom racks and recently went to rack my pre's on the upper deck side. The damn rack guides were mismatched. They replaced them for free directly from their website :)

• Members

I generally don't like furniture made specifically for studios. Instead, I prefer other furniture, that's nice furniture in and of itself, and that can be adapted.

However, if studio furniture is unavoidable, my favorite is made by Sound Construction .

It's solid, looks pretty good, and the company's happy to accomodate your needs.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

• Members

Hi -

Any ideas on a studio furniture desk which will work with my large console (large for small project studio) and which has rack space for my outboard stuff, and won't completely kill my pocket book ? I've looked around, and thusfar can't seem to find anything . . . maybe I'm missing something.

(1) I've got an Alesis X2 console, which is about 4 feet wide and about 3 feet deep. It also has a built-in meter bridge, which is about 6 or so inches tall (?)

- The jacks are located in the back, and even though I'm going to patch bay most of my stuff, I may occasionally have to get to the back.

- I also have a lot of outboard gear, and would like to have some racks to work with (lying horizontally on either side of the board, and then vertically down to floor would be ideal . . . ).

(2) Quick question re: monitor shelves. I often see monitors stitting on shelves located at the rear of the desk, and many of the studio furniture desks for sale have the same shelf feature.

- However, I've read in several articles that it is better to have the monitors sitting on stands a bit of a distance behind the console to avoid problems with soundwaves bouncing off the top of the console ???? If this is true, what's the deal with the monitor shelves ???

Thanks,

Gutter Pup

Originally posted by Brittanylips

I generally don't like furniture made specifically for studios. Instead, I prefer other furniture, that's nice furniture in and of itself, and that can be adapted.

However, if studio furniture is unavoidable, my favorite is made by
Sound Construction

It's solid, looks pretty good, and the company's happy to accomodate your needs.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

Yup, that's what I have. :) Good stuff - exceptionally well designed and constructed, and they use high quality materials. Again, good stuff. :cool:

Pup, here's the deal - if you place your monitors on a shelf directly above the meter bridge, you can / usually will get reflections off of the desk that bounce right up to your ears. By moving the monitors back a bit (on to stands), you change the geometry, and those reflections don't mess with the direct sound. Early reflections at close range are generally a BAD idea. You can check with a simple flat mirror to see if you've got issues with your monitor placement. Sit at the mix position, and lay the flat mirror at various locations on your desk... if you can see the monitors reflected in the mirror, then you can safely assume that sound is also reflecting off that surface and directly to your ears. If you move the monitors back a bit, chances are you won't be getting reflections off the top of your mixing board / desktop. :)

• Moderators

I did mine on the cheap and I think it rocks. I got one of those "corner computer workstations" you find at Office Depot. They're shaped like a cockpit. Then I didn't put it in the corner but centered it in my room.

A Middle Atlantic 20 space tiltback rack (I think) comes to the height of the desk, and that further elongated the wraparound cockpit on one side. An office filing cab is also the right height and that elongated the other side opposite the rack. That gives a lot of table top space as well.

A couple of monitors stands get the speakers off the desk and behind. Rack pres, 002, XLR patch panel,etc. to the left and drawers holding mics, paper and pens to the right.

All of it around $400...

• Members

Thanx for the answer re: monitor placement Phil.

Query: Why then, with the sound reflection off the console/mixer problems, do I see so many photos of even pro studios,

with the monitors set up - - not on speaker stands - - but on

top of a monitor shelf at the back of the console table ?

Also, any ideas for getting an affordable console desk for my 4' wide, 3' deep console ? Possibly with some racks on the side ???

Thanx again,

Gutter Pup

• Members

Another vote for the Studio RTA workstations, just installed one in my studio last week, highly recommended.

I still can't believe the price either, could probably charge several hundred more and it would still be worth it.

Originally posted by Gutter Pup

Thanx for the answer re: monitor placement Phil.

You're welcome GP.
:)

Query: Why then, with the sound reflection off the console/mixer problems, do I see so many photos of even pro studios, with the monitors set up - - not on speaker stands - - but on top of a monitor shelf at the back of the console table ?

Good question.
;)
But OTOH, there could be various different reasons for it. First of all, some people like to be really close to their speakers - for acoustical reasons (they don't like / trust the CR acoustics) and / or for stereo reasons. Some people actually prefer monitoring with the stereo imaging "overblown" by being a bit closer than the perfect equilateral triangle distance would call for (and apparently being willing to accept early console surface reflections in the bargain), and sometimes it's just out of ignorance or personal preference - "hey man, I like the way they sound there, and it looks cool, and it's one thing less to have to dodge around if we need to get behind the back of the console for something..."
:D
And some boards are just SO dang deep that by the time you get back to the meter bridge, if you go even further back, you're really not using nearfields anymore, but something more like midfields.

Mine are on my bridge right now, but it's not a really deep desk... and I know exactly where to push my chair back to so I can get out of the line of fire.
;)
But I do want to get them onto some stands and move them back further.

Also, any ideas for getting an affordable console desk for my 4' wide, 3' deep console ? Possibly with some racks on the side ???

Please define "affordable".
IOW, what kind of a budget are you dealing with? What specific type of board (brand, model, frame size / # of channels) do you have?

Thanx again,

Gutter Pup

Anytime... I hope some of this helps.

• Members

This is a great discussion, thanks ;)

After a week of emailing suppliers (most of whom haven't responded - particularly disappointed that the isobox guys didn't) - I'm thinking I may need to build my own.

Does anyone know where the standard rack dimensions can be found? I know I cam measure up but would prefer the official specs...

• Members

Hi Phil -

My board is an Alesis X2 - 24x8x2 (actually can operate as a 40 channel) console.

Again, it is approx. 4' wide, 3' deep, and the top of the meter bridge extends approx 6" or so above the surface of the desk.

I don't need anything fancy, but I do need something strong - - the X2 is very heavy. I was hoping (maybe not realistically), to find a studio desk for about $1,000 or so. If it has racks, it would help a lot - - I have a good deal of outboard gear and patchbays. The desk in the photo example from C Jo Go, for example, would work, but have to be considerably wider, and a foot or so deeper 'cause the X2 console is almost the size of Jo Go's entire studio desk !!!

- I suppose I could buy some rack "side-cars" to place on either side of the desk ? But, not as efficient, and more money, of course :(

- BTW: it doesn't have to be new. Maybe there's a company, for example, that specializes in liquidating studio stuff - - including studio furniture ? I dunno . . .

Thanx again,

Gutter Pup

• Members

If you need this to look like furniture, then another possible resource would be nice-racks.com (oddly enough, a work safe google search).

They built me a 10 space rack for about $120.00. It's a little more than what I could find in a carpet clothed or plastic rack and it is not for road work but when everything is put away it blends in with the furniture.

Keeps She Who Must Be Obeyed more or less happy.

Laters,

Tommy

• Members

Originally posted by angstwulf

If you need this to look like furniture, then another possible resource would be nice-racks.com (oddly enough, a work safe google search).

They built me a 10 space rack for about $120.00. It's a little more than what I could find in a carpet clothed or plastic rack and it is not for road work but when everything is put away it blends in with the furniture.

Keeps She Who Must Be Obeyed more or less happy.

Laters,

Tommy

I really like the look of those racks - they only ship to the US though :( :(

They are obviously popular as not taking orders for the next 4-6 weeks.

Archived