Cleaning a condenser mic diaphragm? Possible?

• Members

One of my mics was got seriously wet by the rain (long story, gig under a big tent, wind takes tent down, rain falls on gear...).

Good thing is it still works but I can see some dirt on the diaphragm, you know like when a water droplet dries? It leaves some kind of a white trace? And it's incredibly sensitive to the humidity in my breath when singing. It's much better with a foam screen, but sometimes the diaphragm will sometimes kind of "stick" to whatever's behind it, resulting in audible pops.

I want to clean it but I have no clue how to so? Anything else I should try/look into?

I've dried and inspected the circuits carefully.

Yup, I have to go with the "buy another one" suggestion.

Cleaning diaphragms IS possible... but if you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing, you'll ruin it. This is a job best left to a GOOD mic technician.

It also sounds like you have a collapsed diaphragm and it's hitting the backplate. That usually means replacing the diaphragm or rebuilding it... again, this is a job for an experienced mic restoration expert.

And it's gonna cost a lot more than the $100 or so that the mic cost new.

Sorry for the bad news, but IMO, you should just buy a new one.

• Members

Well, before buying one, try to clean it.

You can use some "cotton-fioc" with some added cotton, slightly dampened exclusively with demineralized water, being very delicate. If you are delicate, using almost just the weight of the stick to keep it on and the diaphragm is not broken you should clean it easily without damaging anything.

Before throwing it away.....

Yes - it's an inexpensive mic, and you might as well try to clean it if you want... just as long as you realize that you might mess it up further and you're prepared to accept that possibility and are willing to buy a replacement if needed. :)

However, that collapsed capsule sounds like a bigger issue, and unless you've done it before and know exactly what you're doing, I don't recommend trying a retension or capsule rebuild job... but you know what? Kel might be willing to sell you a replacement capsule. You might want to check into that. Replace the whole thing and the job's done - no need to clean anything, and the mic will probably work good as new. :)

• Members

Yeah, replacing the capsule looks like an easy job (all things being relative...), it's just stuck in a rubber surround (which they market as a built-in shock mount, but it hardly is...) and there's 2 wires. I'll contact them.

But sometimes with those chinese toys, getting replacement parts is complicated and more expensive than buying a brand new one.

99$ might be cheap for a condenser mic, but it's still a 99$! ;)

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I remember cleaning delicate electronic circuitry with a ultrasonic bath with special evaporating liquids. This might be a solution for cleaning a diaphragm with thin metal and plastics. You could find these tools and people in a jewelary store where they are familiar with cleaning gold in a very delicate way. Or you could buy these special tools... but expensive.

Archived