Will heavy compression bring out my kickdrum pedal squeeks?

If you want good squeaks, you need a better (well, worse actually ;) ) pedal. I'd recommend looking at garage sales or swap meets for a really rusty old CB700 kick pedal. Don't clean it or blow any dust off it, and whatever you do, don't oil it! Stick a bright condenser (pad it) mic on the pedal side of the kick and aim it right at the pedal's hinges. That should get you plenty of squeak. :D

THEN hit it with a compressor with a 20:1 ratio and the threshold set reallly low... :D

Yes, compression can / will bring out pedal squeaks. :)

• Moderators

I've always just overdubbed my pedal squeaks. Just play along with the track but don't actually have the mallet hitting anything, a piece of cardboard if you really need the rebound.

This way, you can mix in as much squeak as needed without the kick drum bleeding in to ruin it.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Lee Knight

I've always just overdubbed my pedal squeaks. Just play along with the track but don't actually have the mallet hitting anything, a piece of cardboard if you really need the rebound.

This way, you can mix in as much squeak as needed without the kick drum bleeding in to ruin it.

TOTALLY CHEATING dude! Sheesh, what happened to integrity in production...

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

I've got a killer library of pedal squeek samples.

Aww, come on R-T, please share the wealth!
:D
Assuming you own the recordings and copyrights on them and they're not from a commercial library of course...

Link please.
;)
;)

You'll be able to get your hands on my samples soon enough. I've got a DVD coming out 4/1/06 with over 5 gigs of pedal squeek samples. I just finished up a week and half of sessions with various drummers and 100's of pedals. We have so many squeeks you couldn't even imagine.

Wait till you hear the double bass drum pedal squeeks we recorded in 5.1, It'll make your head spin!

Archived