Patch panel for mics to various preamps...

• Members

I saw a thread on another forum about the proper way to connect mics into preamps via a panel or patchbay.

I'd like to know how those with more experience than myself have everything set up. I typically use the same setup for drums, but end up just doing the swap around for vocals - surely there's an easier way.

My concern with patch panels is phantom power. Obviously patchbays would pass phantom power fine, but it seems a bit inconvenient to shut off all your gear anytime you need to change the pre (especially in a larger or hurried session) to avoid hotpatching into your preamps.

What's the fastest, cleanest, and best way to do this (hopefully there's one way that's all three ;) ! )?

Gentlemen?

• Members

not really what you're looking for, but i just got something awesome for choosing preamps for vocals. it's a passive selector with 2 inputs for two different mics, and then selector switches for up to 12 preamps. really cool for finding something that works for a particular vocalist/song. i love ebay.

• Members

Originally posted by numrologst

We use a furman pb-48 patch bay. Perfect for what you are talking about,

Hmmm... not so much as that's what I already have and doesn't solve the phantom dilema (in fact it's highly recommended to have a separate patchbay just for mics). ;)

• Members

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about phantom power in the mic patch bay except in two circumstances. First, if you're using ribbon mics, I would try to turn phanotm off before plugging the mic in (notice that I'm not saying that you should turn the preamp off, just the phantom power). The second situation is if you have the inputs half normalled to a console but use the upper patch point to send the signal to an outboard pre, or if you're splitting the signla from the mic into two different preamps. If you're set up this way, make sure that you're not sending phantom from both the console pre and the outboard pre to the mic at the same time. Neither of thise will necessarily kill a mic, but either can could possibly be less than ideal.

In my room, the mic patch bay consists of 2 96 point TT patch bays. The upper patchbay has inputs on the top row, half normalled to the 48 inputs on the console (the bottom row). The second bay has more inputs on its top row, half normalled to 32 channels of outboard mic preamps (though I only have 24 outboard preamps at the current time) along with some lines to send signal back into the tracking room and some tie lines to the console patch bay. It's simpler in practice than when I described it just now...

• Members

OK, Here's how to accompliosh this...

A) You cannot pout phantom power through a swticher, it will Blow. This is OK for dynamic mics only.

B) Do not EVER normal a Mic Patchpoint, especially if it doubles as a line point as well (y'know on those Neutrik multi connectors...)

C) Use a different connector than your Line level patchpoints.

I like to get an XLR panel with enough male and female connectors to accomoate the pre's/Tie lines I need to hit. I will get custom panels made for larger installations.

I never put mic inputs on a jackfield that is next to a line level jackfield. that is simply too dangerous. Keep them separate.

Peace -

-Todd A.

Archived