The wackiest mic in your collection...

• Members

A few years ago, I was the Chief Engineer at a Post/Pro facility/Agency in the Qwest building in downtown Denver. My office was on the 50th floor, and my storage area was on the 54th (this building is one of the two tallest down there).

So, I'm thrashing around up there one day, having been given authority to pitch whatever I deemed unecessary and was off the asset roster; ran across a box of mics (my 421 was in this box:D ), and these mics were in there, as well.

Natch, many mics made it home. (I also have what I call a "Bob Barker" mic...think it's a Sony, model escapes me at the moment. Long, skinny shaft with a smallish windscreen on top.)

I use these things for field recording, really.

field.jpg Haven't had much chance to do anything else with them yet. I've been planning on building new preamps for them, anyway, so I'll just get twice the amount of components, and make you a couple. All I'll be doing is updating what currently exists, so it'll be the same circuit, just with newer components.

D'yer want two separate preamps, or both in one box? I'm going to do both in one, myself.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by rog951

I have a few madcap and zany mics, but nothing I'd classify as wacky...

:p

So far, my humble mic collection consists of pretty much the usual suspects, so nothing too out-of-the-ordinary really. The only mic I have that I'd consider slightly weird is a Peavey PVM520. It's a large diaphragm dynamic mic and has the sonic characteristics you'd expect from a LDD mic. I bought it to use on bass drum, etc before I could afford an EV RE20. The only thing wacky about it is the swiveling mounting scheme. It looks like this:

sixstardj_1857_38830478

I have used various cheap-O tape recorder mics for effects over the years, as well as the baby monitor thing that was already mentioned. Great, now I gotta go out and look for something worthwhile to put in this thread! Never let it be said that I've been out-whacked!
;)

I have one of those too and it gets used regularly for kick and bass cabs. Tried it on voice a time or two as well...

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Oooh! That looks interesting! Please tell us more meriphew!

It's great for lo-fi (think old jazz recordings, not modern day distorto-vocal stuff) applications. Made by Mark from The Polyphonic Spree. This is the mic (well, not thee mic) that shut down the airport in Texas awhile back (they thought it was a bomb). Built very solidly.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Any indication of who the OEM builder in Japan was? What type of output connector do they use, or is the cable hardwired to the mic - and if so, what type of connector is at the end of the cable? What color are the mic bodies?

Those sound interesting Rich.
:cool:

I don't know any of that. but I just put em up for auction (#7341961003) in hopes of picking up a strat someday soon::rolleyes....

regards, rich. :

• Members

Originally posted by gearmike

They are "PZM" brand mics. Hand drawn sticker on the back, from Downey California...a couple blocks from where I live...

These are obviously hand made. Just a rough cut piece of aluminum plate, no way to mount them on a mic stand...

What'cha got?

Wow! Sounds like you have some of the orginal prototype mics, marketed by Ken Wahrenbrock. PZM's were invented by Ed Long and Ron Wickersham and then marketed by Wahrenbrock until the rights were sold to Crown in 1980. Any mic after those initial prototypes that carries the PZM moniker is manufactured by Crown. (Including the RS version.)

Also, they still hold patents on the technology, so don't be confused by boundary mics from other manufacturers. They are not PZM's and do not benefit from the tech that is operative in a PZM.

• Members

I have an old (50s?) mic from the American Microphonw Company. No model number. Black base, gold cylinder about 10" liong, tapers in and back out to a capsule 1-1/4" diameter, 1" deep. Has nothing below about 400 Hz. I use it on hat sometimes, for a real crispy snik for a jazz hat.

• Moderators

I recieved my EV 915 vintage crystal mic today from my ebay purchase (under $20). This thing rocks. I've only tried speaking through it but so far but it's instant old timey, funky tone.

This might be hip to record along with the regular "money mic" as a blend to taste kind of deal or as an either/or, from section to section... I'll let you all know how it works in the trenches.

:cool:

• Members

I guess this isnt really the weirdest mic i own but i think it's own of the weirdest i've used.. I cant count how many times i've ben sitting around needed a mic and had to grab a pair of cheap headphones. i have used them for lofi effect..

f52cbc4f-85a6-11d4-a0e6-00805fbbb715.gif

i have once of these ev's laying around that a rarely use as well.. strange mic..

nd468-b573cb8cf26802fd222cf6df93e946af.j

i have a baby bottle i love... but this RED mic is next on my list...

redtypeb.jpg

• Members

I've got a rat shack condenser from the 80's that's my secret weapon mic. Battery only, won't take phantom. It looks like a shorter sm-81 and it's got a V/M switch, the V being 'voice' with a roll off. It actully works really really well on my voice for some things! I'd love to find another one.

Also have some old square intercom mics that give you that 'telephone' sound. No highs or lows whatsoever.

• Members

I've got a vintage Calrad DM-16H.L mic. Looks like the Shure 55 "Elvis" mic, but has a screw-on connector instead of Amphenol or XLR or even 1/4".

I've also got a EV-664. Both are switchable from high to low impedance. I've tried the EV with a guitar amp, and it does OK with that.

Archived