"...shelf everything at 120hz..." says BT

• Members

Originally posted by TonyCrazyMan

(So you don't have to boost anything just because you cut something ...)

This has to do with predominant frequency range of instruments and juggling frequencies. The idea is to hear each instrument clearly and the best way for that to happen is for each instrument to live in its own frequency band.

Tony, again with the long replies!!! :)

No offense, but even without your admission its obvious you're quoting books rather than talking from experience. There is book theory, and there is reality. Sometimes they are the same, sometimes not so much. Just like there are guitarists with clinically perfect technique who can zip through the fret board faster than my my brain can understand, there are also sloppy as hell self taught guys that play with such soul and emotion that you can't deny their talent. Who is better? Mixing is an art. While there are physical laws of how audio reacts, there is also the subjective human ear and the art of listening. Balance, my friend...

• Members

Originally posted by wbcsound

Tony, again with the long replies!!!
:)

No offense, but even without your admission its obvious you're quoting books rather than talking from experience. There is book theory, and there is reality. Sometimes they are the same, sometimes not so much. Just like there are guitarists with clinically perfect technique who can zip through the fret board faster than my my brain can understand, there are also sloppy as hell self taught guys that play with such soul and emotion that you can't deny their talent. Who is better? Mixing is an art. While there are physical laws of how audio reacts, there is also the subjective human ear and the art of listening. Balance, my friend...

Hehe, this is really funny. What are you telling me? That I am not allowed to think what I think and write what I want?

These kinds of low respect replies should be reported and swept away. This is a forum based on the idea that everybody are here to learn, teach and pay respect. User X doesn't have to ask User Y if it's appropriate to send the reply or not. I once thought this forum would be knowledge centered and a forum where people respect each other.

• Members

Originally posted by TonyCrazyMan

Hehe, this is really funny. What are you telling me? That I am not allowed to think what I think and write what I want?

These kinds of low respect replies should be reported and swept away. This is a forum based on the idea that everybody are here to learn, teach and pay respect. User X doesn't have to ask User Y if it's appropriate to send the reply or not. I once thought this forum would be knowledge centered and a forum where people respect each other.

Tony, I'm not meaning to be hostile. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I meant no disrespect. I like you am just trying to offer my viewpoint and I'm a firm believer in less is more and taking an organic approach rather than scientific. You can throw it in the garbage if you like, just putting it out there.

• Members

Crazy guy - What is the point of posting long rants consisting of random ideas cut and pasted at random from celebrity quotes?

After several people have commented about your long posts, you would think you might start to question your method.

They are just too long to read. Don't take offence at our comments, you can choose to post whatever you want.

I don't have the patience to add disclaimers for sensitive people. If you don't like what I say, just ignore it.

I've noted that you and Hulk don't want any advice from me. That's ok.

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

Crazy guy - What is the point of posting long rants consisting of random ideas cut and pasted at random from celebrity quotes?

After several people have commented about your long posts, you would think you might start to question your method.

They are just too long to read. Don't take offence at our comments, you can choose to post whatever you want.

I don't have the patience to add disclaimers for sensitive people. If you don't like what I say, just ignore it.

I've noted that you and Hulk don't want any advice from me. That's ok.

sheesh man. I was just busting your chops. But, I've noticed that if there's an opportunity to rag on someone...you usually take it.

• Members

Kiwiburger can rag on whoever he wants, IMO. I've never seen him give bad advice and he does know what he's talking about. Which is in sharp contrast to some of the AWFUL, half-baked advice we'll see floating around this place. Gotta love the internet. :D

• Members

Originally posted by the russ

Kiwiburger can rag on whoever he wants, IMO. I've never seen him give bad advice and he does know what he's talking about. Which is in sharp contrast to some of the AWFUL, half-baked advice we'll see floating around this place. Gotta love the internet.
:D

So with all of these "half-baked" replies, you're implying that you must be a professional and 100% right to make a post on a subject that answers someone else's question?

Excuse me if I've miscalculated, but shouldn't the "professionals" be out recording instead of posting on these boards?

I'll freely admit I have little to no experience in recording others. I'm here to learn, and give whatever advice that I have learned. Is it 100% right? probably not. But I'll be happy to give advice for what works for me.

What might work in a little bedroom studio might not work for recording an orchestra. but you know what? I don't care. Most people here don't record orchestras. And if you do, what in the hell are you doing on the forums? get back to work.

I've just come to dislike the personal attacks so many forumites have enforced on certain people, when in reality, we didn't do a damn thing (though in your mind we're ravenous wolves).

• Members

nah, i'm no pro, but i know bad advice when i see it. for any situation, there's usually only a couple "best practice" pieces of advice that would suit a newbie much better than "try this crazy {censored} i did last night because i myself didn't know the proper way to do it".

i'm not really addressing anyone in particular. and there's nothing wrong with sharing anecdotal info about stuff one has learned or tried, etc.. but that anecdotal info may not even be helpful to someone who is learning. before giving advice here i always ask myself - of all the ways i could answer this question, am i telling this person the *best* way, given the circumstances, to get the job done? i find it's best to learn the best practices before getting off the beaten path. you gotta learn how to ski before you can jump the moguls, you know?

• Members

Originally posted by the russ

nah, i'm no pro, but i know bad advice when i see it. for any situation, there's usually only a couple "best practice" pieces of advice that would suit a newbie much better than "try this crazy {censored} i did last night because i myself didn't know the proper way to do it".

i'm not really addressing anyone in particular. and there's nothing wrong with sharing anecdotal info about stuff one has learned or tried, etc.. but that anecdotal info may not even be helpful to someone who is learning. before giving advice here i always ask myself - of all the ways i could answer this question, am i telling this person the *best* way, given the circumstances, to get the job done? i find it's best to learn the best practices before getting off the beaten path. you gotta learn how to ski before you can jump the moguls, you know?

Despite mine and Russ' recent little battle :) I'm with him on this one. I've fallen into many traps in "How do I..." posts where I offer suggesetions far beyond the understanding or necessity of the original poster. I try to take the walk before you run advice path as much as possible, but sometimes loose my way. :(

I'll often post a way to solve a specific problem assuming that the poster has tried all other options or post a contrary opinion to approach a problem if there are 10 posts with the same advice just to get it out there. Are my opinions the best? I don't always agree that there is any one best way to address an issue, but all the EQ advice in the world ain't gonna fix a poorly placed crappy mic.

There are a million ways to adress an audio "problem", but those should be ignored until the tried and true basics are exhausted. There is a learning curve.

And what does dynamic range have to do with eq?

Quite a bit actually. :) Boost the heck out of a LF band and I can guarantee you'll loose headroom, and if you boost it high enough, you will clip.

In general, I agreed with everything else audio related that was in the post that this quote came from. Cutting is oftentimes a better idea than boosting. You can't boost something that isn't there, etc.

However, let's watch the personal comments please people. Civility is the order of the day here. If you don't agree with a technique, it's fine to voice that. But please do so with an attitude of respect and caring for each other... remember the forum motto: Be excellent to each other. :)

And as far as long posts go, if you don't like them, you can ignore them too. ;) I've been guilty of making several long posts myself... :D

There is no shame in asking for advice, or admitting when you don't know something. IMO, that's better than taking a WAG at something and passing along what may be erroneous information. If I'm not certain about something, but feel like replying, I'll always try to put some sort of disclaimer in the response so that the reader understands upfront that my comments are not definitive.

But again, a lot of what we do as producers and engineers comes down to personal preferences. It is "art" after all, and who am I to pass judgement or tell someone else that their artistic decisions have no merit? I can only say what *I* like, and what I prefer... and if something isn't "working" for me, but it works for you, then go with it! But IMO, keeping an open mind to other alternatives and ideas is generally a "good thing". If you try it and it doesn't float your boat, nothing says you have to continue using it... or tell the person who suggested it that they're crazy or stupid or whatever.

When I respond to a post, I try to take the skill level of the questioner into account, and reply accordingly. But I can't possibly know what everyone's knowledge levels are about everything... and I will frequently add stuff to my reply that is "way too basic" for some people. That isn't intended as a slight, and isn't "talking down" to people... a lot of people who read the response might have similar questions that they didn't ask, but not as much basic understanding of the subject as the original poster did / does.

Sometimes the reverse happens, where I make an assumption about knowledge that someone doesn't have... and it's always okay to ask for additional information or further clarification about something you're not sure of.

With all posts, take what you need and ignore the rest. Discuss what interests you and ignore what doesn't. But under no circumstances should anyone belittle or insult anyone else on this forum. Not as long as my name is on it. I don't care WHO you are or what you've accomplished, or how little the poster knows. EVERYONE deserves respect and civility. Everyone who can handle that basic rule is welcome here. I don't want this place turning into a noob party with nothing but messed up information, but I don't want it turning into an "exclusive big boys club" for people with X amount of platinum on their walls either.

If you know a lot, chances are someone along the way helped you get that knowledge. Pay it forward. If you're just starting out, we're here to help. Ask your questions, be thankful for the answers, and take and use the ones that work for you. When your time comes (and it will someday), pay it forward and give back to the next generation.

Be EXCELLENT to each other.

• Members

Cool Beans Phil! Will do...:cool:

I just picked up a copy of the BT article and read it - he seemed like a cool and enthusiastic guy and I think he probably felt that most of us that knew what we meant wouldn't take him so literally. Slang for "roll off the lows on most everything to give the real instruments that normally live in the bass regions some breathing room..." do that to taste and figure out exactly which tools suit you on your own - he's assuming we know this already!

Thanks to all of this cool discussion we do now!

;):cool:

Archived