I'm gonna be guest teaching regarding Mastering in 2 days. How do I start?

• Members

So I'll be teaching the basics of Mastering in a couple of days. The students are Multimedia (Video + Audio) majors and it seems that sound is not their strong point.

So now, how can I start of discussing the subject besides showing the difference between an UNMASTERED MIX and a MASTERED MIX?

• Members

I am speaking from a students perspective not a teachers. But some audio examples of the differences between the two and basic visuals of how you got there would be good. That would help me understand what is going on.

• Members

What is the purpose of mastering? Why is there a need for it? What are the steps involved in mastering? What is needed (equipment, software, etc) to master an audio recording?

Ask questions of them - see if any of them have any experience with audio and have run into issues (e.g. low or inconsistent volume) that could have been solved with proper mastering. Ask what they did to fix it and how successful those attempts were.

-Dan.

• Moderators

For mastering EQ ...

How about a projected RTA. Then play some music pre and post mastering.

Then for loudness ...

Just show what a file looks like in a 2 track editor before it's had it's hair cut, then after. Then listen.

Compression might be a little more slippery

Archived