How hot do you record in digital?

• Members

Originally posted by guitarbth

Just to make things frustrating... what if your preamp doesn't have a VU meter? Are there any software VU's that I can use to reference the dBU level along with the dBFS meter that my DAW has?

Brandon

A software meter for a hardware compressor won't tell you what the hardware compressor is doing, only what your converters are doing. You may very well set the input way to cool, and simply increase the output to match levels for your converters, of vice versa.

Inwhich case you need to use your god given meters, your ears, to choose the optimal preamp levels, adjusting either the input, output or both to target your converters reference levels.

Pluggo makes a nice metering plugin, but most all DAWs have built in metering, if not on the metering itself, via a plugin.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So Mr. P Ok'f

In overclocking (wrong word) in Samplitude, adjusting nominal to +16, that's not a good idea for the GB 10?

It's louder during playback and I've not burned any audio to CD as yet, would it show up as oversaturated and clipped at that point?

Rob

Archived