Adding in click tracks to our rehearsal

• Members

So for the most part my band is all amatures. We have 10 great songs (If I do say so myself). I always try and get advice from experienced people. Had a party the other day and the drummer from a band suggested we start using a metronome or click track. Obviously it is a good idea. I'm just not sure where to start.

Should we find the tempo of our songs and start putting it into the existing songs we do have and practice to those click tracks to make us sound tighter?

Do people normally start a click track and then say I'm gonna make a song to this tempo or do you add it after you have come up with a riff that everyone agrees and jams to?

Just looking for some friendly advice.

• Members

The concept of a 'click track' is a good one for recording or live. In the early days of recording, often a metronome was used to jam along with, or was recorded as a literal click track. Midi sequencers continued this idea with electronic versions.

But there are so many options, that a click track doesn't have to be a boring metronome click.

In our house we joke about 'happy drummers' or 'sad drummers'. Have you ever seen these bands where the drummer is wearing headphones, and a serious expression, and you know he is doing his damndest to keep up with a click track. It's like battery hens - it's not right. I much prefer to see a happy drummer in his natural environment.

Every band needs a timekeeper - and that could be the person with the strongest sense of time and rythmn (not necessarily the drummer) or it could be electronic. Options are:

Metronome

Drum machine

Synth sequence

Digital delay on guitar/bass/drum

Audio backing track (CD/iPod)

Looped sample

If using a drum machine, I don't recommend a kick or snare pattern. I recommend percussion - maybe congas or shakers - doing a rythmn that plays against the groove. That way, the drummer won't mask the sound and be constantly wondering if he rushing or dragging. This sound doesn't have to come through the front of house - it could just be in the drummers monitor - but if it is part of the song that's even better. Phil Collins did some great stuff intergrating drum machines with real drums.

Or you could do the U2 thing, and start with a delay guitar riff to get every started.

Or you could do the Who "Won't get fooled" thing and have a previously recorded keyboard part carry the whole song.

Intro's to songs are like your 'first impressions' - I think they deserve maximum creative attention.

• Members

Originally posted by BiggRedd

Do people normally start a click track and then say I'm gonna make a song to this tempo or do you add it after you have come up with a riff that everyone agrees and jams to?

Just looking for some friendly advice.

Redd, From my experiance as a session drummer, people usually play the tune naturally, (no click) and experiment to see what speed/time sounds the best and fits the pocket. When you're satisfied with the groove, then the tempo is matched with a click, sequence, percussion, loop, etc, in the time that was choosen.

The whole band doesn't have to listen to the click. If the drummer is experianced with playing to a click, he will be the solid foundation for the bands timing. Clicks don't lie, and as long as the drummer is on with the click, the band should be right in the pocket.

Another piece of friendly advice. You mentioned that your band is amateur. In that case I would suggest that the drummer starts to practice with a click now. You would be surprised how many "seasoned" drummers are confronted with a click for the first time and they have major trouble keeping up with it.

Archived