recording synths

• Members

what is the best way the record synths. i have 3 synths(fantom s,micro q,emu xl lead) and i usually just hook them up directly to my digi 002 rack. ive been reading about direct boxes and wonder if this is a better option. they vary in price from 40$ to 500$ the fantom is balanced while the other 2 are not. any opinions on direct boxes is appreciated. thanxxxx

• Members

My thoughts are that if you have a soundcard with unbalanced inputs, it's hard to beat a short, high quality cable straight from the keyboard to the soundcard. No DI required. I would imagine a DI box would simply add extra color or noise (passive or active) for no benefit.

But - if your best A/D converters have balanced inputs, then you need some form of DI box to hook up. Or you could go through a preamp.

Maybe you want the coloring of a transformer or tubes.

I must admit i've gone with software synths and samplers as much as possible to avoid this. Generally, software samplers blow away hardware. And my software synths generally blow away any hardware synths i've owned - especially the 16 bit rompler variety.

Archived