Anyone defected from Pro Tools LE to Logic Pro?

• Members

Hiya - I went to a music industry conference today and Apple were demoing Logic Pro 7 big time - I gotta say i was pretty impressed.

Has anyone made the jump from Pro Tools LE to Logic? I know Logic rocks in the MIDI domain, but wondering about the audio side of things....

• Members

Originally posted by nursers

Hiya - I went to a music industry conference today and Apple were demoing Logic Pro 7 big time - I gotta say i was pretty impressed.

Has anyone made the jump from Pro Tools LE to Logic? I know Logic rocks in the MIDI domain, but wondering about the audio side of things....

Logic Pro and PT LE are totally different beasts. LP7 is far more advanced and provides a feature set that cant be matched by PT LE.

I use Logic daily and I love it for MIDI (mostly virtual instruments) and audio recording.

BUT, PT (even the LE version) offers some things that LP7 doesnt have. Like Beat Detective. Editing on PT is more intuitive than in Logic.

All in all, LP7 will blow the doors off of PT LE. Just the strength of Logic's plug-ins and effects alone makes it a worthwhile investment. Now, if you are talking about PT HD systems, thats another story.

Think of it this way: Logic is a great environment for song development (writing, arranging, film score, etc). PT is a great replacement for 2" analog tape. I'm a songwriter. Logic makes more sense for me.

Horses for courses, as they say.

Hey mate, I went the other way... I was a longtime Logic devotee. I started with C-Lab (Emagic's predecessor) Notator 1.12 on an Atari ST back in 1988, and used Logic until I was orphaned (along with the rest of the PC Logic users) a few years back. :mad::(

Logic is an AMAZING program. MIDI on Logic just can't be beat IMO.

However, I do find PT to be better suited for audio recording / editing. The programs take completely different approaches. Logic has TONS of windows and user defineable "screensets" to manage them... there's a seperate screen for just about everything in Logic, and that, along with the Environment (where you set your studio connections and routing up in Logic - a very powerful feature) are probably the two biggest hurdles for many new Logic users... the sheer flexibility and complexity of the program can be a bit intimidating for a new user, but they do offer a lot of capability and flexibility. PT takes a "two screen" approach - just a mixer view and an edit screen - very elegant, very streamlined, but not as flexible. But for audio use, it's nearly perfect IMO. I resisted drinking the Digidesign Kool-aid for a long time, but I'm glad I finally took a swallow. :)

I try not to get too religious about DAW's. I've owned / used most of them, and IMO, all have their strengths and weaknesses. One thing that Logic (and Notator) have had for years (since 1988) is an editable MIDI notation display. You can see on the staff when you played a G#, and just grab the note and drag it down to the G that you meant to play. If you read music, this is far more intuitive and easier to deal with than an edit list or "piano roll" style MIDI display, which is what you have in PT. I hope that Digidesign adds that to PT at some point.

Anyway, to me, the trick to DAW's is to find something that works well FOR YOU and your preferred method of working.

PS Nothing says that you can't use both programs. :) Many people do - using Logic for their MIDI stuff and then importing that into PT and doing the audio stuff from there. For people who work in styles that rely heavily on MIDI as the foundation of a tune, that can be a good way to work. Since most of the stuff that I work on these days is band and audio based, with MIDI used for effects control and additional instrumental sweetening, I don't do that, and normally, I find PT's MIDI fine for everyday use. They've upgraded it a lot in the past few versions. Still no editable notation, but for many everyday MIDI recording / editing tasks, it works fine. But if you're a MIDI "power user", you may indeed be quite happy with Logic. But IMO, you shouldn't dump PT until you find out if you prefer working with them together first. :)

• Members

Applemagic are not worthy of anything except disdain.

I used to think Cubase was gay, and was hard core Logic. Until they abandoned PC users. I realised that with any software, a clear upgrade path is needed, so I reluctantly bought Cubase SX at the special deal for shafted Logic users. Thank you Apple!

When I finally got around to loading it - I couldn't believe my ears. The same VST instruments and the same projects, with the exact same PC, hardware, monitors, room etc - sounded audibly better. My wife could hear the difference. (Not the effects - the effects are substandard - i'm talking about the pure audio quality. The Nuendo audio engine.

For midi, Cubase has everything I need - I much prefer it to Logic. But I never bothered much with sysex and trying to get my hardware all integrated - I'm just interested in notes and controllers.

If Cubase didn't exist - I would be looking at Samplitude.

• Members

I don't understand the Pro Tools versus Logic question. Its not a matter of platforms. Its about what it will do given your needs. Saying one is more advanced or has more features than another is therefore irrellevant.

nursers...if the rockin MIDI features of Logic are what you need then the audio side of Logic will work for you as well. Does it compare to Pro Tools? In a matter of speaking yes. You can record, edit and mix audio and MIDI in both.

• Members

Yep, valid point. It's more that I try to avoid using multiple platforms. I used Cubase for years when I was MIDI only then loved the intuitiveness of PT when I got into audio.

Having seen how Logic has evolved, I was just interested in people's thoughts ;)

Archived