Where to buy new VU meters?

• Members

http://mercenaryaudio.com/colaudmb2ste.html

Many preamps and compressors have VU meters, but the accuracy might be questionable.

I'm sure most designers just buy a cheap milliameter and calculate a resistor and capacitor to scale and response needed.

Software is far more accurate, and you can get free VU meters from www.pspaudioware.com

• Members

Originally posted by wooden

I have a project in my mind, ill tell you more later. But does anyone know where to buy new, goo looking, full working, vu meter for line level?

www.logitek.com

www.colemanaudio.com

www.dorrough.com

Of these three, I like Dorrough for analog metering, Logitek for Digital metering. I've never use the coleman audio meters, but they seem to be a cut below the other 2.

PM me, i have 4 channel Logitek Analog VU that I'd sell if you're local...

-Todd A.

• Members

Thats what I meant by using a milliameter. Do a google - plenty of people sell them. They may not have VU on the scale - you might need to draw your own scale after calibrating it. I think you will have to design the circuit yourself - because different preamps (or whatever you are building) will have different voltage power supplies.

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

Thats what I meant by using a milliameter. Do a google - plenty of people sell them. They may not have VU on the scale - you might need to draw your own scale after calibrating it. I think you will have to design the circuit yourself - because different preamps (or whatever you are building) will have different voltage power supplies.

Thank you. I would like to find it with the circuit to use it with line level signal. Is there something like that?

• Members

Well that's the standalone units menitoned above. A VU meter is one of those things like a headphone amp. It's just a few dollars worth of parts, and cheap to add on to an electronic device. But as soon as you want a standalone one, it gets expensive. There probably are hobby kits for making a VU meter - do a google.

Archived