Guitar to MIDI Notation help Mr....er, Chef..er Dr. Phil

• Members

have an old G-10 for feeding MIDI and bought A Finale Music Writer software over the weekend.

It's really for keybords as I found out...and I'd use it for that.

My choice used to be Cubase with the scoring capability but since Yamaha bought them, I cannot get an answer from their managment as to what might be, they are AFU as far as I can tell.

SO...question is.

I'm penning a tune for a Jazz bassist (a looker) vocalist in NYC, who's got a CD to do in a month or so and I'd like to play the lines into a scoring program, from the GK2 and G-10 or AXON, any ideas about software for Guitar/MIDI transcription, short of what I used to have...(new XP system, old software dongle vanished)

Thanks,

Rob

Man Rob, I dunno... are you saying your copy of Cubase isn't working due to losing your dongle? That sucks. Lose the dongle and you lose the program... which is the BIG drawback to legit users / owners of dongle copy protection. :(

On a PC, other than Cubase / Nuendo, you could probably use Sonar, although I've never tried printing scores out with it. I have not messed with Finale for years, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the GI-10 with Finale - MIDI note data is MIDI note data, and once it's into the program, you should be able to manipulate it just as easily as you could if you had instead used a keyboard MIDI controller. And if that's a problem, you should be able to record the part into any MIDI sequencer and then import the note data into Finale.

Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding the questions? :confused:

• Members

Do you actually want a scoring program - to print out sheet music? Or do you want to turn the bass audio track into midi notes so you can trigger a synth? Two very different things ...

Because I play both keyboard and guitars, i've never bothered much with midi pickups or pitch-to-midi conversion. How hard would it be to play the bass part on a keyboard? I frequently work out bass lines on a bass guitar, and then record it from a keyboard - or vice versa. Maybe that's the short term solution: record her bass, and tell her that you will fix it in the mix. Get a keyboard player to record it.

There are plenty of pitch-to-midi converter software now, and some are very sophisticated. In my experience though, you will probably end up quanitising and tweaking the midi data. So you may as well just play the notes in from a keyboard.

Archived