Help me choose my chains...

• Members

Hi everyone!...

I have a small home studio where for the last couple of months I've slowly been working on pre-pro with my band (arrangements/practice) to prepare to bring them to a "semi-pro" studio to record our first 6 song demo.

We are going here : www.nalsound.com/studio55

Can anyone give me their opinions as far as what their choice for a signal chain would be for the following:

Drums (kick, snare, tom, floor tom, various cymbals)

RthmGuitar (rental recommendations?)

LeadGuitar (rental recommendations?)

BassGuitar (rental recommendations?)

Vox

Music style is 'Alt-Punk' ala Green Day / The Used

I have an 002R setup at home for editing...so I'd like things to end up in PT (but all opinions welcome)

1 last question (sorry)...but I'm trying to find info on this Soundcraft DC2000 board (specs/tech),..but can't find any on the net (discontinued by Soundcraft) Only way to get a manual is to order one. Anyone know any resources where I can find this info?

Looking forward to everyones help!

Cheers,

LiMIT

• Members

What did your last slave die of?

I assume you will record straight into your 002. The four mic preamps will probably be used on the drums. So you will need four more preamps (or two stereo preamps).

What budget? That sort of decides if you are buying/renting Audio Buddies or Avalons or Neves. I guess you could use your mixer if it has insert points.

DI the bass - a Sansamp BDDI might do you, or an Avalon U5 or Evil Twin.

A bundle of Shure SM57's would suit you well.

This is sort of like doing your homework ...

• Members

ok...maybe I'll be a little more clear..

with the gear available at this studio http://www.nalsound.com/Studio%2055

..how would you construct your signal chain.

There is no need to list all the instruments,..but if there is gear there you are familiar with,..and know it'll be what I'm looking for...I'd love to hear it.

ex. (O/H Drum-2 414 x/y --> drawmer 1960..killer! )

I'll get the slaves to mix it for me! ;)

ps...thanks for burning me on my first post here!

• Members

That wasn't burning .. you'd know if I was trying to burn someone :)

My (serious) advice, if you are going to another studio, is to respect the engineer there. Ask his opinion on what to use - he has probably spend a lot of time with the gear and knows exactly why they bought it.

If you piss him off real early by trying to tell what goes with what, that might set the tone for the whole session.

My (serious) advice, if you are going to another studio, is to respect the engineer there. Ask his opinion on what to use - he has probably spend a lot of time with the gear and knows exactly why they bought it.

If you piss him off real early by trying to tell what goes with what, that might set the tone for the whole session.

That was going to be my initial suggestion too Kiwi... if you don't trust the engineer to do their job without having to dictate the signal path for everything, you're probably hiring the wrong engineer. ;)

However, it's quite possible that LIMiT is going to just be renting the room and doing the engineering himself... or not. :) LIMiT, can you clarify on that? Are you going to self-produce, serve as the engineer or both?

I briefly looked at their site earlier today, and I noticed they're using Radar for their recording platform... Good stuff! :cool: I didn't notice a computer DAW listed, but I imagine they probably have one. If you can get them to track to Radar and then transfer to PT for you, then that might be the way to go... but ask them if they can do that FIRST, before reserving / booking time. :)

• Members

However, it's quite possible that LIMiT is going to just be renting the room and doing the engineering himself... or not. LIMiT, can you clarify on that? Are you going to self-produce, serve as the engineer or both?

Thats right Phil! I'm taking the band in and will be engineering/producing the project.

I've got a general idea of what I'm going to be using,..but have never used any of the pre's or compressors (except the 1176's) and need some guidance in that respect.

They do list Protools 5.1 there as far as a DAW (more than likely a 001) ..but I was thinking of maybe just bringing in my G4 / 002/ Octane / and FW drives.

We're going in to rehearse this Sunday... and then go for a walk through... I'll try to get some of your questions answered.

:)

Till then...any advice from someone who's used any combinations of this gear to a satisfying result would be greatly appreciated.

-LIMiT

By all means, go in prepared. IOW, I'd definitely suggest bringing in your own PT rig and be prepared to do any transfers / backups you need to do. You might also ask them about interfacing - do they have the cables you need to do the transfers available, or do you need to bring your own? Etc. etc.

Let me have a look at their gear list and I'll see if I can get some suggestions for you... but one important question - how are you going to do this? Everyone "live" for the basics? With or without click tracks? Do they have iso booths, or are you going to all set up in the same room? Overdubs? If so, what's going down on the basics and what do you plan to o-dub?

• Members

Hey Phil....

we're going in to track drums on day 1. Drums will be set up in the main room while the 2 guitars and bass will be direct into my m-audio octane/002 as scratch tracks. (Hopefully my bass player will nail his stuff this day too as I plan to reamp the bass track anyways).

I'll bring the drums home,..edit them and do a temp mix to track guitars on day 2. (not a next day type thing obviously).

There is just one medium size room (not sure on dimensions), so I plan to track the rhythm guitar the same way we did the drums,..with the cab in the room and the head in the control room,..playing through the big speakers.

Vox and b/vox will more than likely be done at another smaller studio ,..owned by a friend of mine.

Prepro being done now (and for the last couple of months)..determining what tempos so we can play to a click.

The 002 and Octane are the only preamps that I own.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

-LIMiT

Archived