Variax - what do you really think?

• Members

Originally posted by Richard Guy

One last thought please. I believe that Jimi Hendrix would like the Variax a lot. He was very much into 'generating' sounds than being a purist. I have nothing against purist personalities or taste.

Yah most of us do have our heads up our arses from time to time.

Well said,. :)

Take it for what it is,

• Members

I posted a question about the Variax Accoustic on the Accoustic Guitar forum a while back. The few replies where pretty polarized.

My original questions are included here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=984854&highlight=variax

Has anyone actually auditioned or bought one? I'm looking for usable 'modeled' sounds, NOT a real Martin or a LP. Thought the Accoustic would fill the bill. Any thoughts? Thanks, Paul

Well Paully, like I said, I've only seen them in action four times - two trade shows (where I briefly played one of the original model electrics), at a BBQ / Forum Party here at my place (Lee Flier sez---> "I've only played a Variax once, at Phil's place..." Don't make me get the pictures out Lee ;):D ) and once at Dave Bryce's place, where we were playing in a jam situation - and that was the acoustic - or maybe a prototype - playing through a Pod XT Live (floor version of the Pod XT). And again, while I didn't have a chance to try that out myself that night, I was rather impressed with the variety of tones I heard from that rig... and I was playing a Epi Les Paul Ltd Ed. through a Univalve - a pretty cool sounding rig, if I do say so myself. :o

You know, some people dig the modeling stuff, and some don't. I can appreciate that. Even though I have some nice tube amps and a nice studio where I can crank 'em up any time I want, day or night, I also own - and fairly frequently use - a Pod XT. As well as a few other modeler type plug ins and hardware units. Does the Pod always "beat" the amps? Nope - not for me. A good tube amp has a sag and a playing feel that the modelers don't quite grab completely... kinda hard to describe... But in a mix, they can really provide you with some alternative tonal options; very viable ones at that - especially if you're willing to dig in and tweak the presets a bit, and they're wonderful for crunching a bunch of other things up too - drums, vocals, whatever. :)

The XT series tones and effects are more closely in line with my own tonal preferences than the earlier "bean" - which I also have owned. Cool product - quite revolutionary (and influencial) in its day... but IMO, I prefer the sounds of the newer units, and the effects are greatly improved overall too.

I dig a great amp, and I've been getting back into pedals again... but the Pod still has a valued place around here. And for apartment dwellers and college dorm dwellers with cranky roommates, a Pod is pretty tough to beat. And I really dig my Line 6 MM4... even though I'm getting more new (and old) pedals lately, I haven't been in a rush to get any modulation based stompboxes - I'm pretty darned happy with what I've already got available with the MM4.

The one Line 6 guitar I tried felt like a average mid-level guitar. Nothing particularly impresive (unless you take into consideration that a $500 guitar these days is generally way better than what I had available at an comperable, inflation adjusted price back in the 70's ;) ) but nothing egregiously bad by today's standards either. And I did notice what Craig was talking about - it may have sounded pretty darned close to a Tele or a Strat, but physically it does feel different than actually playing a Tele. That may throw some players... but I have a bunch of guitars and I tend to compensate fairly well anyway. Again, I only tried it for a few minutes, so take that FWIW and don't consider it a fair and accurate assessment.

I've never played the acoustic, but I've heard it, and it sounded good to me. Would it be perfect for recording or live or meet everyone's expectations in every way? Some people are gonna love it - there are a lot of cool things about the concept, and being able to "cover a lot of bases"... but it's not likely to meet everyone's preferences though. Any more than a Martin is going to please a die hard Taylor fanatic or a Tele a Les Paul lover or whatever (and FWIW, I'm a happy Taylor, Tele and Les Paul owner). The best advice I can give you is to give one a try in a quiet room for a few hours and see what you think. And if you decide to get one, consider buying from someone with a good return policy, in case after a week or two you decide it's not doing it for you.

• Members

Phil,

Thanks for the generous reply. I've had the Pod Pro rack module for years, and it's still a great go-to fixer upper. I just priced the Variax at GC. The best price was $900 for a gold top(wanted black), not including shipping plus 6% NJ tax, and that's for a B-grade with no case. Also, at the moment it's too hot and humid here to put up with 'sales dudes' and an hour drive! :rolleyes: Might be a little pricey now, but still in my sights on eBay. Again, thanks for the input and time. :p

Paul

• Members

On a side note: I was at the U2 concert in Copenhagen on August 31st, and The Edge did indeed play a Variax Acoustic for two songs.

The first was Love And Peace Or Else from the new album. As far as I've read he recorded that song using a miked up Gibson acoustic. The recording has then been treated with overdrive/distortion and whatnot, so it kind of makes sense to use the Variax acoustic live, as it is supposed to provide the acoustic sound of the modeled guitars (as opposed to the sound from a piezo pickup). He also uses distortion on this song live. Using the Variax it is probably easy to avoid feedback.

The other song he used a Variax Acoustic for (a different one, though) was The Fly. That makes no sense to me, whatsoever. The whole song is filled with distortion - why use an acoustic sound for that?

• Members

It was a great concert. The rain was pouring down, but there was a party-like atmosphere going on anyway. That included the band. They seemed to have a lot of fun, and it was rubbing off on the audience - or maybe it was the other way around ;)

I don't think he was just trying out the Variax, though ;)

Here is a screencapture from a bootleg I have from their opening concert in San Diego:

theedge-variax.jpg

The picture shows them playing The Fly.

• Members

I look at it this way, no expensive mic's, no sound isolation, can record outside, inside, in the tub, on the crapper. Would be a great option for anyone wanting to buy a first guitar. Having options for both live and recording for both acoustic and electric. Seriously considering it for myself as I don't always have the option to have a quiet atmsophere to mic up and go. I love just recording my acoustic and do some takes solo. Also love to here it in a mix. With 5 kids running around I always have noise. Listening back to a take I did a couple weeks ago, I always look at the door cause when I recorded, someone opened the door, said something and closed it again... Plus I don't have $3K to invest in a Martin. So that's still gotta sound better (or at least different) then my $500 Yamaha acoustic...

Still though, trading in my Ibanez RG770! Ain't gonna happen.

But with my XT Live(which I just love) a perfect combo to any arsenal! Great thread, and thanks for the info guys. Might be worth a rent for a month before a purchase!:D

• Members

Would be a great option for anyone wanting to buy a first guitar.

That's what I'm wondering. What are everyone's thoughts on it as a first guitar? I have a relatively decent home studio (cubase sx, decent external effects, expensive synths, etc.) but was thinking of picking up a guitar to add to things. It probably wouldn't leave the room or be needed for anything live. Most likely it would be used for filler parts more so than anything serious given the fact that I'll be learning how to play. Style-wise? Heck if I have any style at all.

Thoughts?

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

..was thinking of picking up a guitar to add to things. It probably wouldn't leave the room or be needed for anything live...

Thoughts?

Exactly what I was thinking; a quick source of different sounds for noodling. I already have all the first-line guitars that I'll ever need. ;) Paul

• Members

Great thread! I do not currently own a Variax guitar but wouldn't rule it out in the future.

Never the less, I've been using modelers for the last 6 years and have never been happier with a rig. My setup gives me an amazing range of intruments to create and perform with.

As for Variax, when they license it out to say..Parker, i'd be all over it. For now I'm still exploring the possibilities with the VG8ex, GR33 and zenTera.

If you are in the area come and see / hear for yourself. I'll be at JB's in Grand Terrace CA this Friday and Saturday night with Delta 32. Pure Classic rock!

ZenFly, please post some details about your gig this weekend. Where is JB's? What type of a place is it... sorry, but I've never heard of it before.

I have a session tomorrow morning / afternoon, but since Grand Terrace isn't too far from here, I just might be able to get over there to check your band out. :)

• Members

Originally posted by greendoor

Is there a digital connection to the Vetta that eliminates the hissy D/A stage maybe?

That's an interesting thought! It may very well be possible to any D/A conversion altogether by recording directly through usb with the Variax Workbench. People record directly with the Pod XT Live so I imagine this is possible, I'll ask Line 6 about it now. Personally, I DI the Variax Acoustic through a Universal Audio M-610 so the tone benefits quite a bit after the analog conversion.

If I was buying a sample sample CD, or hiring a session player, I would hope they had the real deal - not a simulation that hisses. But that's just me.

I sat in on a session with Mike Landau once & the guy literally had an entire room to himself, filled up with guitars & racks. The thing is that big session guys like that get paid cartage when they bring more gear, so it actually behooves them NOT to have some do-all-wunderkind guitar like a Variax around. I've been known to bring both a Taylor 810 & a Variax Acoustic to sessions since, in truth, I actually do like the unique flavors on-board the Variax. I'll certainly never again play a real acoustic over a PA if I can help it.

• Members

Originally posted by Toxicpotatoe

I have played both the acoustic and electric variax. I was not impressed.

Please elaborate. What were you expecting, and what did you find? What didn't impress you.. sounds, action, response, balance?

Originally posted by Toxicpotatoe

I have played both the acoustic and electric variax. I was not impressed.

Hey TP! Glad to see you made it over. :) I was going to PM you about the internet mail / HC thing last night, but got distracted. :o But I see you figured it out. ;)

Sure you don't want to trade that D28 for a Variax? :p;)

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

ZenFly, please post some details about your gig this weekend. Where is JB's? What type of a place is it... sorry, but I've never heard of it before.

I have a session tomorrow morning / afternoon, but since Grand Terrace isn't too far from here, I just
might
be able to get over there to check your band out.
:)

Phil,

I must have logged off just after...missed your post.

So a bit late for this, but JB's is on Barton rd. about 1 mile off the 215 in Grand Terrace. JB's is a neighborhood restuarant/bar.

I'll try to be more proactive the next gig.

• Members

heck, never mind the sound.

I find, IMHO the Variax to be fugly - I'm a bass player considering how cool the bass model would be (then, down the road the guitar models for my home recording) but I can't get past the "all-important" look. ;)

Hey line6, how about a vintage p-bass body copy?

• Members

Originally posted by tdempsey

heck, never mind the sound.

I find, IMHO the Variax to be fugly - I'm a bass player considering how cool the bass model would be (then, down the road the guitar models for my home recording) but I can't get past the "all-important" look.
;)

Hey line6, how about a vintage p-bass body copy?

Muy fugly.

Make one that looks like a Tele and I'm all over it.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by tdempsey

I find, IMHO the Variax to be fugly - I'm a bass player considering how cool the bass model would be (then, down the road the guitar models for my home recording) but I can't get past the "all-important" look.
;)

No doubt! I've thought more than a few times about gutting the electronics out of the Variax Acoustic & sticking 'em in my terrible-sounding Epiphone Emporer Regent.

• Members

I've heard about people doing that...taking the electronics out and putting them into other guitars.

I picked up a 300 (the cheap $500 model) for my studio because I'm not much of a guitarist but wanted to have something around I could get a good variety of tones out of. Since I'm not a seasoned guitarist the feel doesn't bother me...I can feel the differences between different guitars but am not familiar enough with them all to be bothered by the fact that the feel stays the same as the sound changes...but I've heard the same complaint from others as well. The variety of sounds is very impressive, though, and I've never had any sort of problem with hiss.

-Duardo

Archived