Freq. Range/Band Width Analyzer

• Members

I've been reading articles about using EQ, and the band width and/or frequency range is mentioned for various instruments. In fact, one article's author wrote "My voice sits primarily around 2.1k to 2.5k"

My question is how does he know that? Is there a type of gear/plug-in that analyzes an audio signal and reports its frequency range and/or bandwidth?

Very Curious!

Thanks for your time,

Jim

• Members

Excellent! Thanks

So, with these tools and the "Inspector" to be more specific, if I insert that plug-in on a guitar track, it will show a graphic representation of the frequecy range of that part? Not just used for an entire mix on the master track?

Correct?

• Members

Well, I tried it and realized "Inspector" can only be placed on stereo tracks. So the only way I can think of for analyzing mono tracks is to place the plug-in on the master fader and solo the mono track.

Does that compute or is there a better way?

Also, is there an another type graphic analyzer that will listen to a track then show a static graph of an audio file? Sort of an overall picture instead of the realtime analyzer such as "Inspecter"? It would be nice to freeze a certain spot in the audio track to look at & analyze.

Make sense?

• Members

you can make a stereo bus for the guitars.. izotope ozone has a eq analyzer that can do what your asking... but i know i have used others.. you need to find one with a infinite hold.. i think inspector might be able to do this. i cant check at this time...

to be honest i think this might be a redundant task for you.. what are you trying to find out exactly and why?

• Members

Infinite hold...yes! And a guitar bus sounds good, but I imagine placing the plug-in on the master fader and soloing the guitar track is the same thing, but I could be wrong. Of course I would only be hearing the soloed track.

What prompted me to this idea was reading articles on eq and "notching out" holes to be more specific. One article showed graphs of different instruments & where they overlapped and then where the notching took place.

As a novice recordist, I thought it would be beneficial to "see" what frequency ranges instruments use and to see where instrument overlap appears, which would allow for easier eq notching as an example.

The article in question http://homerecordingconnection.com/news.php?action=view_story&id=154

Thanks for your responses Eric!

The Waves PAZ plug-in does infinite hold... but that's $200. I thought you could do infinite hold with Inspector, but I guess I am mistaken.

Anyway, as far as that goes, I'm not really sure if it's going to be as useful as you might be thinking...

Also, is there an another type graphic analyzer that will listen to a track then show a static graph of an audio file? Sort of an overall picture instead of the realtime analyzer such as "Inspecter"? It would be nice to freeze a certain spot in the audio track to look at & analyze.

Even if you can / do freeze the analyzer display, that just gives you a snapshot of what was happening at a particular point in time, and that display is going to change from moment to moment, depending on what notes are playing. IOW, if you were to play a low E, you'll see one part of the graph with more emphasis than what you'll see if you play a high E string at the 12th fret. :)

There is a mastering EQ program called Har-Bal that allows you to see EQ response on a display and then manually adjust it, but it's a stand-alone product and plans to make a VST plug in version were apparently shelved.

Steinberg used to have a plug in called FreeFilter that could give you the frequency response display for an entire song, but it's been discontinued. It MIGHT still be available as part of their mastering package though. It would also allow you to apply a EQ curve from one file to another...

But I took a look at the article you mentioned, and I've seen plenty of things where the author described EQ cuts and boosts, and making "holes" for everything to have its own space in the past... and IMO, you shouldn't take those displays too literally. Yes, I generally agree with the concept, but those diagrams are more of a "general idea/ general frequency ranges" thing, and I don't think that they're really representative of an actual screen EQ display on a RTA screen, and those displays will be different with each different song, with each different arrangement and recording. In other words, you can use something like Inspector, note which frequencies are peaking on a particular track and then check the others and then use your ears to fine tune those EQ boosts and cuts. A graph that displayed the average spectrum of a particular track over the length of the entire song might not be representative of what is going on in individual sections of the song, and the display is a guide, not the master. :)

So my advice would be to use Inspector to give you some starting points and then adjust from there with what your best audio analysis tools tell you - your ears. :)

• Members

Even if you can / do freeze the analyzer display, that just gives you a snapshot of what was happening at a particular point in time, and that display is going to change from moment to moment, depending on what notes are playing. IOW, if you were to play a low E, you'll see one part of the graph with more emphasis than what you'll see if you play a high E string at the 12th fret.

That makes sense. And I appreciate your take on the said eq article. I was also interested in "seeing" the frequency ranges of instruments. With the advent of the DAW, I think recording has become almost as visual as auditory, especially for editing.

Still, your advice is sound:

So my advice would be to use Inspector to give you some starting points and then adjust from there with what your best audio analysis tools tell you - your ears.

I learn new ideas in this forum every time I visit.

Jim

Archived