Where do I start in recording with the gear I have?

• Members

Hey, I am pretty much a beginner to the entire recording process and am definitely willing to start from the bottom and work my way up in both knowledge and experience. I created a thread a few months ago about where to start in learning about recording, but that was with all my old gear.

A month ago I purchased a brand new custom built (I built it with parts) computer. Here are my specs:

AMD 64 3200+ Venice

MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum Mobo

eVGA Nvidia 6800 GT 256 mb

1 GB (2x512mb) Corsair Value ram

M-audio Firewire Solo external soundcard

Seagate 120gb / 80 gb SATA150 hd

BenQ 1620 DVD Burner

Sony Floppy drive

Antec Sonata II case w/450 Watt psu

VX700 Monitor

Win XP Home SP2

Ibanez GAX70

NI Guitar Rig

Adobe Audition

Shure SM57

-----------------------------

- Ok now that I listed all that I have, where do you think I should start? I have the tools to learn first hand, I just don't know where to start. I have been recording and tweaking guitar tones for past month, but even my recordings sound dull. I created a thread about one recording I did that you can check out here.

- I have a book called "Modern Recording Techniques," but I am unsure if that will really help with how I want to learn about recording with the setup I have.

- So what do you recommend I do first with all that I have?

• Members

Regarless of the level of the gear I can tell you what I did to start - you won't find me in the bins a Tower so this ain't pro advice.

1. Learned how to play my instrument and sing to a minimal level. Minimum level meaning in-tune, in-pitch, and in-time.

2. Recorded me playing guitar and singing live-to-mono.

3. Recorded me playing guitar and singing live-to-stereo.

4. Recorded me playing guitar and singing using overdubs.

5. Recorded me playing guitar and singing using midi drums, bass, and synth.

6. Began matching my mixes against commercial references that I liked and respected.

At each stage of the game my recording technique and mixes improved. Buying a few books, participating on forums, submitting songs for criticism all help. Notice there is no formal education or serious recording collaboration or internship in my list - those help too I think, especially hanging out with some kind of mentor. Also a minimum level of good equipment and skills is necessary by the time you get to step #4 or #5 I think. Time needed is different for every one...

• Members

Originally posted by bball_1523

what and how did you learn in each step about recording?

I learned a little about myself as a musician and writer as well as how to gradually build mixes that became denser (more instruments) as time passed. I'm a DIYer so I learned most of it myself - there's better ways to do it I think and named a few earlier.

Also in addition to recording myself I recorded other solo artists and bands in my own home studios as well as on location and in live club settings. I just went out and did it or brought people in - I've always been fasinated with capturing a live sound and playing it back - help me !

In the DIY world the only way to make good recordings and mixes is to make zillions of bad ones first - unless you have the gift!

• Members

Originally posted by kylen

I learned a little about myself as a musician and writer as well as how to gradually build mixes that became denser (more instruments) as time passed. I'm a DIYer so I learned most of it myself - there's better ways to do it I think and named a few earlier.

Also in addition to recording myself I recorded other solo artists and bands in my own home studios as well as on location and in live club settings. I just went out and did it or brought people in - I've always been fasinated with capturing a live sound and playing it back - help me !

In the DIY world the only way to make good recordings and mixes is to make zillions of bad ones first - unless you have the gift!

that's the kinda person I've developed to be. DIY person. I really wanna learn step by step, on my own. I wouldn't mind getting help (that's why I'm here), and/or interning at studios in the future, or whatever. But right now I have some resources, and I want to take full advantage of them. I just don't know where to start.

I've made a few recordings here and there, and have gotten constructive criticism, but have yet to find a way to work on my recordings and actually make them good, with all the resources that I have.

Archived