EV 635A Check it out!

• Members

If you have never used one, I urge you to try one. I bought 2 of these on ebay and am really impressed. The are cheap and in my opinion a fantastic mic for anyone on a budget. I recently recorded acoustic guitar with one and it sounded really good. I have more expensive mics for that application, but they have a place. Today I try them as overheads.

I think they are the best bangf for the buck I've come across beating out the B. ECM 8000's

That my opinion and I'm sticking with it

:D so there

• Members

I did my drum tests yesterday and I take back the my statement. The ECM 8000 sounded better for drums in this particular application. I do like these very much, but I would probably not buy them new. The 635a are pretty rugged and probably a better ebay item since they were widely used in broadcast and are really durable I think they are nicknamed "the hammer". The 2 I have are a slightly different color, making me think they are different ages. they do sound very similar. I wish my Oktava's were this closely matched. I never looked at the specs but I can here that they don't have lot's of top end. I loaned one to a friend a while back and he used it for vocal on a bunch of stuff and It worked really well for demo stuff.

• Members

Yeah, Tim... I did see reference to them being a field mic. That makes sense.

I can see how this would make a good lead/rhytjm guitar mic. Have you tried it on snare?

I started with SM57s and a couple of CAD E100s. AS I have added mics, just about anything has become a replcement for the SM57s.

Archived