Avalon AD2055 equalizer question

• Members

Okay, guys, I just picked up several pieces of (very gently) used gear on ebay, and some of these things didn't come with manuals. Worse still, some of them don't seem to have manuals available to download. Hence this, the stupidest question ever asked on this or any other studio forum:

How on earth does one turn off and on the Avalon AD2055 equalizer???

It would seem that this unit has no on/off switch! Rather, it would seem to always be on so long as it is plugged in. But since this bugger generates quite a bit of heat, I'd like to be able to turn it off without constantly unplugging it.

Does it have a hidden switch or an algorithm that turns it on and off?

Okay, so there it is. I now defy anyone to ask a less informed question on this forum.

Steve

Steve, not all pro audio gear comes equipped with a power switch... although I thought the Avalon did - either on the unit or on the remote power supply. Anyway, you can contact them on Monday, and I'm sure they can hook you up with a manual. :)

http://avalondesign.com/contact.html

Congrats on the new toys - what else did you buy?

PS I should have listened to my mother and become a lawyer... or ecconomist. ;) That way, I could afford more / better toys! :D

• Members

Hi there, Phil. . .

IF there IS a power switch on this thing, then I'm getting out of the business. I can't find it anywhere. :-(

The other two toys were a Manley Variable Mu and a Masterlink (new. . . the discount from new to used. . . only about $150. . . wasn't big enough to tempt me to take a chance on a used item). Both the Avalon and the Manley are in truly great shape and a LOT less (over $2500 total between them) than buying new.

And, incredibly, they are all playing together quite happily so far.

:-)

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

• Members

From what I recall, the Avalon AD2K line does NOT have on/off switches. Our AD2044 comp doesn't. I simply just unplug it from the power supply, which I have sitting just outside the rack for this purpose (vs. trying to reach behind it all the time to plug/unplug it)

Granted, on something as high-quality as an Avalon, I see this as a bit of an oversight, design wise. Good ear should have an on/off switch IMO.

The same goes for the Avalon U5 - no on/off switch. But, it's a DI, so I don't mind so much. But, anything rack-mountable needs an power switch. It just makes sense.

Cheers!

Spencer

• Members

i never liked the design of any avalon gear. there was always at least one huge flaw, like the layout of the VT747SP, the bad gain staging on the VT737SP, and the absense of a power switch on the AD units. the UA gear is always better for the money, anyway. You definitely don't pay 2700 for their dual preamp. Ugh.

Originally posted by umkcprof

Wow. . . $3600 at Sweetwater, and no on/off switch. Either the doggone thing likes to be on at all times. . . or someone at Avalon has a better back than I do.

:-(

Steve

Or considerable stock in tube supply companies. ;):D

Stick it on a power strip and use the on / off switch on that Steve. :)

Archived