upgrading from Tannoy Reveals --hr624, dynaudiobm5a's

• Members

I currently have and am quite happy with a pair of tannoy reveal passives. The only quibble I have is the lack of bass. The mixes I get are not accurate in the low end...I use these with a denon comsumer amp which is also likly coloring the results.

I would like a more accurate amp and something that has better bass response.

So for price-preformance

Im looking for something active.

Mainly the Mackie hr624 or DynaudioBM5A

Has anybody compared either of these speakers together? or against the reveals?

Thanks

• Members

dynaudio. no comparison. i'm a proud owner of the BM6As and a proud frequent borrower of the BM15As, which I will eventually get my own pair of.

the huge difference between the two speakers you're looking at is FREQUENCY SEPARATION. you'll hear exactly how much bass is in your bass tracks, and you'll hear them completely separate from your mid range vocals and guitars, and you'll hear those completely separate from the high end sizzle your cymbals are giving you. the mackie's, even the 8 inch version, are rather muddy for such expensive speakers and simply cannot deliver the way any dynaudio speaker will.

and for what it's worth, i like the dynaudio subwoofer a lot more than the mackie as well ;)

If I wasn't using ADAM's, I'd probably be running Dynaudios... for me, it's no contest vs the Mackies... But I'd still much rather have a pair of ADAM's. ;)

Also, is your room properly acoustically treated? You can throw great monitors in there, but if you're sitting in a null spot or there isn't enough bass trapping, no monitor is going to give you accurate low frequency reproduction. :(

• Members

The Mackies use a passive radiator system for the sublows that IMHO is obviously not in time with the active woofer, and makes the bottom end sound like mush.

I've heard good things about the Dynaudios, but have not used them myself.

I'm a major fan of the JBL LSR series. IMHO the 28P/6328P are the finest monitors under $5000. The smaller 25P's are also very nice, but you probably want a sub with them (which JBL makes).

• Members

I think both are probably better monitors than the reveal. I'm open to correction but I don't think either will give much more bass to speak of though. Personally, I don't find reveals to be bass shy to be honest, either - definitely workable to hear what's going on.

You probably ought to be looking at something bigger if you feel the need for thumping bass.

-Daniel

• Members

Thanks for the replys!

This is my main monitor problem

Sometimes when I record ie, an acoustic guitar I get a low buildup that is not detectable on the reveals,

If the reveals put out similar bass to the others I am begining to think maybe I should just use more high pass filters on stuff that shouldnt be there anyways.

Im really not dis-satisfied with the reveals other than the bass issue. They seem really open...although there is some hardness in the upper mids ,,..... anyone else found this with the reveals??

Maybe a sub is my only option??

Anyone selling there BM5A's??

• Members

I use the Mackie HR624's everyday.

I own the Mackie HR824's AND the Dynaudio BM5A's.

Here's the scoop:

624's - very bass shy, IMO. Good natural tone otherwise, but can make you mix a bit bright (probably due to a bit dull, or midrangey sound coming from the monitors). That said, I still feel they are a good monitor, worth the price, and you could probably do serious mixes on them once you're used to them.

824's - nice mons with big bass and an a nice, larger, imposing look. I like my Mackies HR824's, but to be honest, I'm keeping them mostly because they look sweet and big, now that I've got my Dynaudios.

BM5A's - the only bad thing about these is that they're small and not overly impressive LOOKING. However, BIG sound with lot's 'o bass! Very detailed and, in a reasonably well treated control room, they are the most accurate monitor of the bunch - and not just by a little bit. They have very even reproduction down the whole audio spectrum. They have big, low bass. They have excellent stereo imaging. They are very easy to mix accurately on.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and radiator schmadiator!

Archived