Gibson Explorer History

NashSG

• Members

Originally posted by TaZMaNiO

99% of Epi stuff these days is either veneer or plywood, though you wouldn't know it unless you looked in the PUP cavities, neck pockets or sawed through the body...I'm surprised people don't realize the Epi line is cheaper cause they cut a lot of corner
;)

Aargh! I do know that, but that doesn't mean they lie about their specs on species.

Epiphone is an American company that uses Samick and US factories for their product. There's no reason to think that they all come of of varied Asian sweat shops.

When a guitar manufacturer wants to go cheap, they just remain relatively silent on the specs.

Just like the specs for the Epi Explorer. It just says "korina" is doesn't say, solid, book matched or anything else.

But look at the SG special. It will say "multipieced". It leaves it up to you to guess how many.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

You guys keep on thinking that boards of korina are gold or something.

Sure epi cuts cost corners, but by using smaller pieces of wood, not by using other valuable tone woods such as alder.

Now here's a limba (another word for korina) body. You'll note that without the yellowish stain, it has a white and brownish colors that is common with ash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LUTHIER-CHARVEL-JACKSON-COMP-BLACK-LIMBA-SOLOIST-BODY_W0QQitemZ7349511917QQcategoryZ41406QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A curse uon you all!
:cool:

All I am saying is that their specs are not written in stone, and I would suggest it foolish to think they are, for various reasons previously stated.

:o

• Members

Epiphone arent built in the U.S. unless they are really limited runs or ghost built or something. I think GAS man is just pissed because his guitar isnt what he thought it was. Also the guy refinishing the guitar didnt ruin it, he just didnt want the yellow tint finish so he did natural and it was something like 3 or 5 pieces of alder. My guess is that your guitar is made out of nato or agathis GAS man, I wouldnt doubt it. Epiphone will do anything to mask what the guitar is really made out of, if they told you it was 5 pieces of low quality Korina would you have bought it?

• Members

Aargh! I do know that, but that doesn't mean they lie about their specs on species.

Epiphone is an American company that uses Samick and US factories for their product. There's no reason to think that they all come of of varied Asian sweat shops.

When a guitar manufacturer wants to go cheap, they just remain relatively silent on the specs.

Just like the specs for the Epi Explorer. It just says "korina" is doesn't say, solid, book matched or anything else.

But look at the SG special. It will say "multipieced". It leaves it up to you to guess how many.

Epiphone is known to have used other Korean facilities than Samick, such as Shine. Also, they have used several different Chinese facilities, like ASC, and whoever the hell makes Jay Tursers. Sometimes one company builds electrics, another acoustics. Other times, identical models may be produced at different factories simultaneously. All distributors have at LEAST one alternate source for product to ensure availability, its just good business.

They dont have to lie. The guitars stated specs are a base, and they can provide product that varies until someone calls them on it, in which case Gibson probably has a disclaimer somewhere like:"product specs are correct at the time of writing, but are subject to change at the discretion of Epiphone". These are just widgets for the mass market, nothing really special. As long as they operate well, and look like Explorers, I am certain no one at Epi/Gibson is concerned with much besides moving them along.

• Members

Give me DNA evidence then we'll talk. For now I'm going with the Mfr's specs.

Well, I'd be interested in what Korina DNA would look like because there is no such wood. Its a fictitious name Gibson made up to call the yellow stained limba they were using in lap steels way before it showed up on guitars. McCarty liked the way the lap steels looked and decided to make the V's and Explorers look the same. So you're really defending something that's made-up in the first place. Which is why they can still get away with calling the Epi's Korina, because there's no such thing anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot

Well, I'd be interested in what Korina DNA would look like because there is no such wood. Its a fictitious name Gibson made up to call the yellow stained limba they were using in lap steels way before it showed up on guitars. McCarty liked the way the lap steels looked and decided to make the V's and Explorers look the same. So you're really defending something that's made-up in the first place. Which is why they can still get away with calling the Epi's Korina, because there's no such thing anyway.

Korina is a commonly used trade name for limba, but the name was in place before Gibson began using it. At least Gibson does not claim it in AR Duchossiors book, Gibson Electrics-The Classic Years.

• Members

You friggin dufus! I already pointed out that "limba" is another word (and the proper word) for korina. :mad: :mad:

You guys are horrible little trolls.

I own thirty guitars and it wouldn't break my heart if this one didn't meet specs, and I already stated that it is multi-pieced lower grand korina (limba) but you guys have nothing to support your arguments. Just conjecture and irrelevent speculation.

I also pointed out that it is stained, which is probably why the dufus who started the alder body innards was confused at what he was looking at. He most likely expected the yellow color to be the same on the inside of the veneer.

But you guys want to believe a HC thread post rumour over Gibson Epiphone specs, go right ahead.

Lazer eyes to you guys!:p

• Members

Has anyone come across pictures on the net of an original 58 Explorer? I've never seen one. Did it have the hockey stick headstock? I always figured the original might have the same headstock as a Flying V.

I've not seen one of the newer Epiphone Explorer reissues with the Korina, but the Flying V one is a nice guitar.

What kind of pickups did they put into the 70s reissues? Did Gibson use the 500/496 ceramic pickups back then or something else? Did some makes of Explorer come with that Dirty Fingers pickup?

Willcutt in Lexington has a cool refinished silver burst late 70s Explorer. It looks really cool and unique.

• Members

Originally posted by NashSG

Has anyone come across pictures on the net of an original 58 Explorer? I've never seen one. Did it have the hockey stick headstock? I always figured the original might have the same headstock as a Flying V.

I've not seen one of the newer Epiphone Explorer reissues with the Korina, but the Flying V one is a nice guitar.

What kind of pickups did they put into the 70s reissues? Did Gibson use the 500/496 ceramic pickups back then or something else? Did some makes of Explorer come with that Dirty Fingers pickup?

Willcutt in Lexington has a cool refinished silver burst late 70s Explorer. It looks really cool and unique.

The original production models do have the hockey stick. The "Futura" prototype had an offset "ducks foot" kind of like a Dean ML.

IIRC, reissues made in the '70s have standard PAF type pups as used in LPs, but with no covers(maybe some with covers?). Dirty Fingers appeared on '80s Explorer variants.

• Members

BWAHAHA!!!

That's priceless, never really thought about it like that ;)

They could make them out of pressboard and call them "Korina" & no one could correct them, because "Korina" is what they say it is! :D:p;)

• Members

You friggin dufus! I already pointed out that "limba" is another word (and the proper word) for korina.
:mad:
:mad:

You guys are horrible little trolls.

I own thirty guitars and it wouldn't break my heart if this one didn't meet specs, and I already stated that it is multi-pieced lower grand korina (limba) but you guys have nothing to support your arguments. Just conjecture and irrlevant speculation.

I also pointed out that it is stained, which is probably why the dufus who started the alder body innards was confused at what he was looking at. He most likely expected the yellow color to be the same on the inside of the veneer.

But you guys one to believe a HC thread post rumour over Gibson Epiphone specs, go right ahead.

Lazer eyes to you guys!
:p

Been here a long time, hardly a troll. 30 guitars is nice, but doesn't exactly entitle you to elite status, many of us here are also gear whores and have owned a many or more (myself included). I can tell you that in addition to real Korina (Hamer V in particular), I have owned the Epi korina Explorer and when taking it apart to change out the pups and stuff, you can see it's alder. Its not a big deal, it is what it is, I don't understand your hang-up, or your attitude. :rolleyes:

• Members

IT AIN'T ALDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm not braggin bout the guitar count. I'm trying to convey that my guitar obsession has imparted more than the slight reference of guitar knowledge that you guys obviously posess.

But you guys go ahead and have your fun, or for those of you who I fear could be serious, believe that Epiphone is one big guitar wood conspiracy cartel.

Epaminondas Stathopoulo is rolling over in his grave right now!

And you all must be right, the holy grail of woods, korina (limba) a relative of mahogany, is far too precious for the Epiphone company to have stuffed a yellow stained veneered guitar full of its boards.

Right! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Members

The Epi "1958 Korina Explorer" (that's the actual model name) body is made of Korina. It even says so on their site. It doesn't say what the neck is, so it can be made out of anything, probably maple, but once they claim the body's Korina, unless they change it mid model year, it's gott'a be Korina. Low grade Korina, but still Korina.

Looking carefully at one, it's clearly a multi piece Korina body with a nice but very thin veneer top and back. It's not alder.

BTW Korina is not that expensive, (Koa and walnut are), it's just hard to get big enough pieces of it to make guitars.

Here's a link to different wood descriptions;

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

• Members

Originally posted by Armitage

The Epi "1958 Korina Explorer" (that's the actual model name) body is made of Korina. It even says so on their site. It doesn't say what the neck is, so it can be made out of anything, probably maple, but once they claim the body's Korina, unless they change it mid model year, it's gott'a be Korina. Low grade Korina, but still Korina.

Looking carefully at one, it's clearly a multi piece Korina body with a nice but very thin veneer top and back. It's not alder.

BTW Korina is not that expensive, (Koa and walnut are), it's just hard to get big enough pieces of it to make guitars.

Here's a link to different wood descriptions;

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Thanks for the support to my position. I was being pummeled by a gang of trolls. :D (I was being sarcastic about it being "far too precious", to try to make a point that it isn't too precious to be in an epiphone if its pieces) U R now my buddy! :cool:

• Members

I was being pummeled by a gang of trolls.

Dude, the only troll here is you. You're the one getting all pissed off, calling names, and insulting people with deragautory comments just because we don't agree with you?

How about you take a few deep breaths, relax, and stop being such a twat. I hate it when people get sand in their vagina :rolleyes:

• Members

Dude, the only troll here is you. You're the one getting all pissed off, calling names, and insulting people with deragautory comments just because we don't agree with you?

How about you take a few deep breaths, relax, and stop being such a twat. I hate it when people get sand in their vagina
:rolleyes:

Your arguments were stupid, because they lacked any evidence or logic.

You guys were rubbing sand. My original post was to respond to the question about the history of Explorers. The Korina aspect is an important aspect of the history which is why I myself got the vintage styled Epi. Although it's obvious it won't be a solid piece, the continued and repeated comments made to degrade the quality below its obvious pedigree (or lack thereof) were pointless and baseless.

Call ME a twat!! :eek:

• Members

Bottom line, they are good guitars for their price point, whatever they are made of, they look fantastic. I think you (Gas Man) take this {censored} way too serious and are out-of-line with your angry attacking behavior. I'll be done with arguing in this thread as I don't want to continue a pissing contest.

I leave you with a pic of my (former) Epiphone "Korina" Explorer.

KorinaBodyFront.jpg

• Members

Bottom line, they are good guitars for their price point, whatever they are made of, they look fantastic. I think you (Gas Man) take this {censored} way too serious and are out-of-line with your angry attacking behavior. I'll be done with arguing in this thread as I don't want to continue a pissing contest.

I leave you with a pic of my (former) Epiphone "Korina" Explorer.

KorinaBodyFront.jpg

If you read the thread, I was holding my composure just fine. You were one of two that joined Timmy's band wagon without any facts. Like I said earlier, it was a pummeling that was baseless and you joined the fray. Other than misreading me, thanks for your last post.

Archived