Yamaha i88X for $399! Is that a bargain?

Originally posted by alvin

Since you can connect i88x to PC can i record with it?with Nuendo or something like that.And also how good does it record...sorry for my poor english
:)

Hi Alvin - welcome to the forums. :wave:

Yes, the i88X is a audio and MIDI interface, and you can connect just that to your computer system and use it as an audio / MIDI interface for your recording software - it will work just fine with Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo, etc. You will need a Firewire interface on your computer (most have them included these days, but if yours doesn't, they can be added with a PCI card for under $50 US dollars), and a single firewire cable carries all the audio and MIDI data both to and from your computer to the Yamaha. :)

In my opinion, if you're NOT using Pro Tools (they work with just about every other software except PT), the Yamaha i88X is currently one of the best deals out there for audio and MIDI I/O. They're fairly easy to set up, have a lot of inputs and outputs, two very good mic preamps, excellent sounding converters, and they're very inexpensive for everything you get. I highly recommend them! :wave:

• Members

Hi.
Thanx for the answer....:wave:
I'm pretty new in recording.I recorded some things earlyer
but with intergrated onboard sound card just so my brother can
show some songs to his band mates...Anyway when i saw i88X
i assumed that i can record with it,and now when i know i can i'll definitly buy it(it's like i have it allready) :D .Another reason why i'll buy it is couse i need midi interface i bought 2 aditional sound cards and midi port doesnt work(those wore cards worth 20 $ ):freak: so it's better for me to buy i88X than a soundcard (ESI ESP1010) and preamp(i88x).Plus i can carry i88X with me on gigs and hook it up to a laptop and record live stage performace.I allready have a mixer (Yamaha EMX5000-12).I have bass amp (Yamaha BBT500H) and guitar amp (Marshall TSL602) and also some instruments and a keyboard (Yamaha PSR-1500).So i88X is a great deal if you know what i'm sayn'.One more question...
Will Pro Tools work without controller (like Mackie Control Universal) just with i88X.

Thanx in advance...

Again sorry for my english :)

• Members

yes, that is the point of the unit. you can multitrack with it.

i have a question not yet answered though..

can i use this interface in conjunction with another firewire interface at the same time? specifically in DP4.6 in osx 10.3.9?

is there an issue with the mlan AND a non-mlan interface?

i currently use a digidesign interface AND a tascam firewire interface in DP. with the i88x, i could get rid of the digi interface and pro tools once and for all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry guys, I don't mean to sound negative but from my investigation, the reason the price on the I88xX dropped was because of many frustrations with the unit.

I bought one several months ago and I had to send it back. It was the first interface I have ever bought and could not get it to start working even while reading the manual.

I have worked with the MOTUS'S, Firepod, M-Audio interfaces, Mackie 400F and many more. When I bought the 400F, I just installed the latest driver and started recording with out even looking at the manual but the M-LAN I88X was more of a space shuttle. When I call Yamaha, the guy responsible for the I88X support was on Vocation and could not be reached.

Tell me, look at the Firepod, the priced have never dropped atleast not that I know of. I wrote an article on the Yamaha MLAN Central titled, "Why has the priced of the MLAN I88X dropped?" and there were lots of replies.

My finding is the interface was "rushed" I have great respect for Yamaha, infact, I owned all the Motifs but find the I88X to be the worst product Yamaha has ever released. The patch bay looks like a windows 3.1 setting, everything looks 19th century.

I'm not a scientist but I don't believe the priced dropped just because they wanted to give musicians a deal, the truth is they should have recalled the product but it would have been a lost, so they dropped the price by almost 50%! Can you believe that?

Patrick.

Archived