Yamaha i88X for $399! Is that a bargain?

• Members

Originally posted by Eric Dahlberg

That's the average going rate in the US. We have it for $359 after the forum discount.

Really? Has it been this cheap for a long time? Are they being discontinued? I found it on the US site, but not the European.

They usually lower the prices here according to the american prices, but it's still just under MSRP here.

At this price it seems to be great value.

Forum discount eh? Do you ship abroad? ;)

It's a really cool interface, and the preamps on it are top notch - I think you'll like it. I did a review for the i88X, the effects and the 01X in EQ magazine - you can read it right here.

Last I heard, they have not been discontinued, and I really don't know why the price has dropped so much on them, but I've seen them advertised for $400 or so for several months now.

• Members

Phil,

I just read your review actually, along with the soundonsound review.

You say the unit is worth the price for the mic pres alone, and it was probably at least twice the price when you reviewed it. :)

I'll sleep on it tonight, but I think I'm going for this one and Cubase SL or SX :cool:

• Members

Hi, Phil.

Does the software control panel for the i88x have input metering? I'm really interested in picking up one, but if the little "over" lamps on the front are the only metering available, it would kind of put me off.

I'm liking the new forum, too, so thanks. Nice to have a new complement to the recording forum here.

-doug

• Members

Hi guys,

I used to be the Marketing Manager for this product. The i88X does NOT have any mixing capability of any kind, so unfortunately it will not function as a standalone A/D converter. When you combine this product with other mLAN devices like an 01V96 or an 01x, things get very interesting. I'm currently using and 01x, i88X and Motif ES all connected together. I'm running a KSP8 off the ADAT port on the i88X and using it with the Cubase SX mixer for effects sends. :D

There is not any other metering, outside of what your DAW would provide. Again, with another product such as a Yamaha Digital Mixer anything can be connected in any fashion. The mic inputs on the i88x could go to a channel on the digital mixer where you could provide compression, EQ or an effect before reaching the DAW. The mixer would provide full metering.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

So now that I have opted for the mLAN 16e for my Motif ES6, it has effectively rendered my MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 useless (Cubase SX3 does NOT support multiple ASIO drivers, so this screws up my I/O configuration..)

Question: is the I88x a suitable substitute for my MOTU rig?

BTW: My board is a Yamaha O1v with a lightpipe into the MOTU 2408mk3..

Thoughts?

• Members

I'm not sure about this, and I don't want to scare anybody out of a purchase, but I think I was reading about some big cpu issues with this device, meaning that it takes up a whole lot of it. There was a specific context to the problems, though. I'm sorry, I just can't remember what it was all about.

It was on the studio-central forums, if you're interested in reading about it. I'd look for it myself, but I am already in my pajamas.:)

Originally posted by forceman

So now that I have opted for the mLAN 16e for my Motif ES6, it has effectively rendered my MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 useless (Cubase SX3 does NOT support multiple ASIO drivers, so this screws up my I/O configuration..)

Question: is the I88x a suitable substitute for my MOTU rig?

I would think so. Personally, I prefer the sound of it over the MOTU stuff I've heard. And of course, it's mLAN compatible, so the driver issue becomes a non-issue if you go to the i88X.

BTW: My board is a Yamaha O1v with a lightpipe into the MOTU 2408mk3..

Thoughts?

I THINK the MY16-MLAN card will work in an original model 01V... and if so, then you can interface the i88X with your board and your computer... lots of possibilities...
;)

• Members

Thanks guys for your replies!

Phil, thanks for your learned insight. I decided to purchase an I88X for your reasons mentioned, plus it supports ADAT (lightpipe) so basically the I88X provides the same basic functionality as the MOTU.

In addition, it also provides two more mic preamp and, according to what I have read (including in Phil's archived forum) it is a very good preamp.

Will report back on my experiences.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Superbad

I'm not sure about this, and I don't want to scare anybody out of a purchase, but I think I was reading about some big cpu issues with this device, meaning that it takes up a whole lot of it. There was a specific context to the problems, though. I'm sorry, I just can't remember what it was all about.

It was on the studio-central forums, if you're interested in reading about it. I'd look for it myself, but I am already in my pajamas.
:)

Well, in my direct experience with the unit, it doesn't seem to be any more processor-intensive than any other interface. Lower the buffers and the CPU requirements / load goes up - increase the buffer and it goes down (and latency goes up). That's no different than any other "native" interface I've ever tried... what WAS different was the lowest latency I was able to get... 1.1 ms (not a typo)! That's lower than I've gotten on ANY native interface - ever. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Superbad

It was on the studio-central forums, if you're interested in reading about it. I'd look for it myself, but I am already in my pajamas.
:)

Ok, I looked back at it, and it turns out it was some sort of mlan problem with the latest edition of OSX that would cause random CPU spikes and just use up a lot of CPU power in general. I don't know if there have been new drivers or not since it was posted, or if it even matters to anyone here. I'm just trying to make sure nobody gets something they're not expecting.:)

I'm kind of interested in getting one myself, now that I've been looking at them...

• Members

Not to sound like a Yamaha salesman (which I most certainly am not) but reconfiguring my project studio to use Mlan has really made things FAR easier!

Example: I can now run my second synth (an Ensoniq TS-10) main outs into the Motif ES6 2 A/D inputs and then route the signal via firewire to Cubase.

The good thing about this is I have two less cables to worry about--the cables are now 3 footers rather than longer, and I have competely taken a snake out of the picture.

Forgive me for raving but I personally think this is powerful stuff..

Regards.

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Eric Dahlberg

That's the average going rate in the US. We have it for $359 after the forum discount.

Sweet! I just created an account at your store. Based on Phil's recommendation, I plan on getting an i88x within the next month. I'm cheap, your price is the best - works for me! :thu:

Archived