Cymbal Sizzle rivets recording

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quite tricky, but glad you asked. First of all you need an anti-gravity simulation chamber, and a partical accelerator. Set up your cymbal and mic in the anti-gravity chamber. Strike the cymbal, and then dematerialise just the cymbal by bombarding it with anti-matter from the partical accelerator. This leaves just the rivets vibrating in free space - which I believe is the sound you want.

I needed a good, hard laugh! At which point does the flux capacitor come in?

I can see how this Walters guy can get irritating, but man, I haven't laughed this hard in a long, long time. Some of the rivet king stuff had me rollin real good.

• Moderators

Why would you mic it anyway? Why not just hot-glue a piezo sensor directly to your favorite rivet? Just make sure you pick the right rivet. Nothing worse than having to remove a hot-glued piezo from the wrong rivet.

My lab has been experimenting with this idea a bit lately. What we've come up with is little condensor mics 1 inch off of each and every rivet. Sometimes as many as 25 mics and rivets. In 5.1 you can surround yourself in the "rivet field" (patent pending). Imagine standing on Sabian Mountain and hearing rivets sizzle up to you from the foothills in all directions!

It's like that. Mezzzzzmoizzzing!

• Members

I've decided to simply attach a perpetual motion machine to the rivets. That way they'll still be sizzling after the cymbal crash fades. Thus, I get nothing but rivet sizzle.

I cant believe that someone actually resurected this thread. lol

The original "Sizzle" thread from the Drum Forum was funnier than hell. I think that one is like 4 years old and was the first time I had encountered this character lol.

"how i get that sizzle in rivets"

• Members

I cant believe that someone actually resurected this thread. lol

It wasn't me. :) The guy who posted before me, I guess. I saw this thread at the top of the page and read through it, then posted, without catching the fact that it was an old thread. It's very funny, though. ;)

Archived