Cymbal Sizzle rivets recording

• Members

How do i record a cymbal with rivets and JUST record the sizzle

or rivets ?

I like just the White noise of the rivets i want to record but not the cymbal sound how would i seperate it electronical

When i hit the cymbal with rivets in the microphone i get the

attack from the cymbal sounds plus the rivets . Im trying to

narrow it down to getting just the rivets sizzling

My goal is:

I want to put reverb on the rivets sizzling but have the cymbal sound dry not wet just the rivets and sizzles will be wet and have reverb how do i do this?

Will a compressor with a eq in the side chain do this?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quite tricky, but glad you asked. First of all you need an anti-gravity simulation chamber, and a partical accelerator. Set up your cymbal and mic in the anti-gravity chamber. Strike the cymbal, and then dematerialise just the cymbal by bombarding it with anti-matter from the partical accelerator. This leaves just the rivets vibrating in free space - which I believe is the sound you want.

• Members

as a drummer i think i got this one.... if this is just for sampling .this isn't rocket science.... mic it up, and just give it a medium hit with the side of your fist on top of the cymbal... the only attack noise you would get would be a low frequency thud that a highpass would easily cure..

and if you want even less cymbal noise tape the hell out of the cymbal to dampen it so just the rivets will be bouncing away..

if you want to just bring out the sizzle, duplicate the track use a highpass until most of the cymbal crash is gone then mix the sizzle track with the other with as wet as you like..

• Members

THanks again

if you want to just bring out the sizzle, duplicate the track use a highpass until most of the cymbal crash is gone then then mix the sizzle track with the other with all the verb you like..

This is it also the Trick is to "Duplicate the track" and i can focus on the "sizzling track"

• Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

What "rods"?

they are called "hot rods." they aren't as hard as sticks - I believe it's a bundle on bamboo dowels or something of that nature. If you remember the old nirvana unplugged I think dave grohl used them.

Just a thought

• Members

I know Walters is a joker who isn't really asking real questions, but pretending he isn't for one moment ... why has nobody just suggested finding the sizzel of the rivets with an eq? Or are you all just playing with him too?

The sound of the rivets would be very different if you damped the cymbal. You can't really seperate the two.

This is a typical Walters question. It appears to be really dumb, but also seems to be engineered to take the piss out of audio engineers.

• Members

I just think you need impulses of the individual objects so you can plug it all into a convolution reverb like sir or pristine space.

It might be a little tricky micing the rivet and not the cymbol but I'm sure it can be done by someone with enough interest.

The more interesting idea is micing the band with a cool sound, cool material, cool vibe - who just happen to have a drummer with rivets in their cymbols - close micing it you will certainly get a lot more than sizzle...

Originally posted by Walters9515

Thanks

less cymbal noise tape the hell out of the cymbal to dampen it so just the rivits will be bouncing away..rivets

I think this might work to tape the cymbal to dampen it just to get the rivit sounds nice

Yes, but if you damp the cymbal, you'll also change the character and tone of the rivet sizzle...

The cymbal hit is part of the sound... and IMO, should normally be treated as such.

You could possibly chop off the first few ms of the attack, which will diminish the amount of the crash from the cymbal you'll hear, then just use the rivet sizzle, but there's still going to be some of the actual cymbal sustain... damping the cymbal (tape, foam, etc) will reduce that, but again, will also have an effect on the tone of the metal rivets hitting the cymbal body... that might give you what you're after, so by all means feel free to experiment with that. You might also try the "hit it with the hel of your hand" suggestion (like a karate chop), or try a soft yarn mallet strike (or soft roll) to reduce the initial cymbal attack...

But again, the cymbal itself is part of that overall sound, and IMO, you're not going to be able to seperate them completely.

Archived