Sennheiser MD421 II's...

• Members

I have 4 of these with consecutive serial #'s. As others already know, there is a 5 position roll-off switch. An "M" on one end and an "S" on the other. The included chart shows the different roll-offs, but which is the "M" and which is the "S"? Also, are there any suggestions on replacing or alternate bayonet mounts? The one included seems kinda cheesy. Peace and thanks to all . . . Dogbreath

• Members

As noted M=music S=speech. Funny story, I had a wannabee soundguy tell me once that M was for mono and S for stereo.....boy was he dissapointed and embarrassed when he was set straight.

M is no rolloff, and each click toward S adds more. how much more I don't know, but the specs might tell you.

The clips are actually quite rugged, the problem is the mic housing breaks where the clip slides in, forcing you to basically ahve the mic rebuilt to a fairly costly expense.

They (sennheiser) used to make a shock mount for the 421's, but I don't know if they still do.

A little tip to prevent the mic from slipping off the clip, put a bit of gaffer or electrical tape behind, not in front of the clip. remember the mic slides off by pulling forward from the clip, a bit of tape behind the clip prevents it from slipping back and off the mic.

• Members

Originally posted by ArrMatey

I like those mics for toms but the way the hold on, their clip, is absolutelly horrendous. Can easily Fall off. I hate that.

/B]

Use good quality permacel gaffer, and put a small piece behind the clip, and it can't fall off, the tape holds the clip firmly in the slot.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Use good quality permacel gaffer, and put a small piece
behind
the clip, and it can't fall off, the tape holds the clip firmly in the slot.

to be honest I'd love to but this is school equipment so we can't tape it. But I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers!

• Members

Thanks all! I get such good info from this forum. I rarely post but I drop by 2 or 3 times every day. I am trying to learn from you all. The "M & S" explanation makes the roll-off positions a piece of cake...thanx Phil and Where. Also, using gaffer tape to secure the 421 is a good idea. BTW...I did buy 4 shock mounts. . . Dogbreath

Yup, the clips on 421's have always been one of their weak spots IMO. :(

The gaffer's tape is a good idea - but if you can't tape, then you might want to consider an elastic band - again, placed around the mic directly behind the clip. I've done that a time or three, and it works well too.

BTW, thanks for the kind words about the forum Dogbreath. We've got a good crew here. :cool:

PS Don't hesitate to post! ;)

Archived